The Minneapolis, Minn. -based company was founded in 2015. Flipgrid now boasts users in over 180 countries with over 20 million pre-kindergarten to PH.D. level educators, students, and families using the service.
Microsoft has acquired social learning startup Flipgrid, the company revealed on Monday.
It's certainly a play that makes sense in Microsoft's portfolio, as the company looks to take back the education market now being dominated by Google, thanks to its wildly popular Chromebook category. Flipgrid brings the back row to the front and helps learners of all ages find their voices, share their voices, and respect the diverse voices of others. As part of this effort, the technology giant has brought to market specialized productivity tools for students and low-priced laptops geared toward use in classrooms.
Flipgrid is a video platform for schools that seeks to increase student engagement in the learning process by allowing kids to create and share videos on specific topics and projects with one another.
Eran Megiddo, corporate vice president at Microsoft stated in a press release, "Fans of Flipgrid can rest assured the Flipgrid they know and love, in joining Microsoft, will continue to grow and thrive across the Microsoft, Google and partner ecosystems, all while retaining its distinct brand, culture and team".
Just to spice up its offer even more, schools that have already paid for a subscription with Flipgrid will get a refund.
Unlike any other tool out there Flipgrid delivers social learning, reflection and simplicity. Flipgrid's post also mentions plans for continued support on iOS.
The two companies originally launched a partnership in 2016, and the platform today integrates with a number of Microsoft products, including Teams and OneNote. This is believed to strengthen emotional skills beyond the traditional curricula - "skills the company's recent research says will be required in 30 to 40 percent of the fastest-growing occupations" according to the company announcement. Microsoft also makes Office 365 Education freely available to schools. Microsoft notes that Flipgrid's mission aligned with its own.
- U.S. Expected to Withdraw From UN’s Human Rights Council
- US Senate approves bill reinstating ban on ZTE
- Mickelson Hits Moving Ball with Putter, Receives Sextuple Bogey
- Trump Signs Order to End Family Separation Policy
- AMC Theaters Set to Challenge MoviePass With New $20 Subscription Plan
- Africa showing few signs of making World Cup breakthrough
- Diego Costa digs Spain's escape route against gutsy Iran to level Portugal
- Trump to sign decree to end migrant family separations
- Morocco Player Claims Referee Asked Pepe For Cristiano Ronaldo's Shirt
- United Nations says human rights are 'pillar' of its work