Romero was the only fighter on the card to miss weight, his second fight in a row as he also missed weight prior to the interim title fight against Luke Rockhold at UFC 221. Whittaker will handle Romero, dealing him a second loss in the series and allowing him to move on to the next challenge.
Romero claimed that the Illinois State Athletic Commission was to blame for ending his weight cut early. "It was the commission's decision". "Absolutely it's on. (Romero) missed by 0.2 (lbs)", White said on the official weigh-in broadcast. "Why would I? I might as well fight someone heavier than me". "And the commission makes this mistake". That's what we want. "And number two, no, I would not go".
The 41-year-old Cuban's recent struggles come on the heels of an eight-fight win streak that began with an impressive opening-round KO of Clifford Starks in his promotional debut at UFC on Fox 7 in January 2013.
Whittaker was named the official middleweight champion after Canadian fighter Georges St-Pierre vacated the title after his win over English fighter Michael Bisping in November a year ago at UFC 217.
What are your thoughts on Romero's comments?
- A one time shot, Trump says of summit with N Korea
- Rubio on Trump's "very bad" ZTE deal
- Hamilton says getting record-tying seventh Canada GP win may be tougher
- Sikh soldier wears turban in Queen's official birthday parade
- Belgium 3-0 Egypt
- 6 injured children in Guatemala volcano eruption get treatment in Houston
- Respawn Entertainment's Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order announced, releases late 2019
- ‘Justify’ Finishes First in Belmont Stakes
- Yahoo Messenger Shuts Down, Directs Users To Group Messaging App ‘Squirrel’
- Battlefield 5 will feature a battle-royale mode