Embiid, who is active on social media, quickly responded to The Ringer report on his Twitter account Tuesday night.
Colangelo has denied trashing players on Twitter - but 'fessed up to owning one of the Twitter accounts in question. "He called me just to deny the story". He said in a statement he used one of the accounts to monitor the National Basketball Association industry and other current events, but he was "not familiar with any of the other accounts" brought to his attention and he didn't know who was "behind them or what their motives may be in using them".
Some are speculating that the entire story, which needs to be read to be believed, could lead to Colangelo being fired by the team.
In linking five so-called "burner accounts" to Colangelo, the site said its analysis had found convincing similarities in the accounts' content and engagement patterns, and that all of the accounts followed a closely overlapping set of other Twitter users with professional and personal ties to Colangelo.
But the account also tweeted a lot of sensitive information about Joel Embiid's injury that morning.
Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports notes the Sixers are calling the allegations against Colangelo "serious". "That would just be insane", he wrote.
For the Sixers, the first order of business is determining whether the accounts are, in fact, Colangelo's.
We only know the last two digits of the "Eric jr" account's phone number, so there's still no hard evidence connecting it to Bottini.
Colangelo joined the Sixers in April 2016 as president of basketball operations. Hinkie was the architect behind what the team calls The Process - the long-term tearing down and rebuilding of the Sixers. He was president and general manager of the Toronto Raptors from 2006-2013. He lost his job there after Toronto missed the playoffs for the fifth consecutive season, and Ujiri took over basketball operations. Colangelo, the son of longtime sports executive Jerry Colangelo, stepped in with the Sixers after Hinkie resigned.
- Amazon geoblocks Australia from USA site as tax change kicks in
- Chris Paul Is Reportedly Trying to Recruit LeBron James to Rockets
- Spelling bee victor is 14-year-old Texan who spelled 'koinonia' correctly
- USGS Warning: Do not try to roast marshmallows over erupting Hawaii volcano
- Controversy Roseanne Barr Forgives Costars Sara Gilbert, Michael Fishman
- Warriors star Steph Curry makes LeBron James Cavs claim before Game 1
- Kyrie Irving Skipped Game 7 While Recovering From Nasal Surgery
- Trump Takes Aim at Sessions Again for Recusal in Russia Probe
- Joel Embiid's instant reaction to Bryan Colangelo controversy
- China says US accusation of South China Sea militarization 'ridiculous'