The Spanish FA (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales confirmed the sacking at a press conference in the Russian city of Krasnodar, where the team are based, on Wednesday.
In a surprise announcement on yesterday, Real Madrid named Lopetegui as their next manager to start work after the tournament in Russia, sparking outrage among the federation and Spanish fans at the timing of the announcement. (We were told) just five minutes before the press release.
"I wasn't losing any sleep regarding a new contract as we all know that football is uncertain".
"We are left in a complicated situation", Rubiales said. We have been obliged to make this decision.
With Julen Lopetegui being announced as the new Real Madrid manager, speculation is rife as to who will take over in the national team hotseat.
"There's a lot to do".
Fernando Hierro will lead Spain at the World Cup after head coach Julen Lopetegui was dramatically sacked on the eve of the tournament. "The federation has its values and it has to maintain them", Rubiales said.
Spain defender Gerard Pique cited an odd precedent for Spain's World Cup hopes in the wake of firing their coach on the eve of the tournament - University of MI basketball.
Zinedine Zidane recently resigned after winning the Champions League for the third time in a row.
"They realised very quickly that Klopp has got a very close link with Liverpool and couldn't get him out of there, and with Conte they weren't sure he was what was needed for Real Madrid".
"If I was not convinced we could have a good World Cup I would not be here", he said.
"We have been forced to do without Lopetegui".
However, despite many feeling that Lopetegui's connection with Real Madrid would cause friction within a already politically divided squad, the Iberian nation have gone and appointed a Real Madrid legend as their new coach in Fernando Hierro.
- Sanford acknowledges expected loss to challenger Arrington in 1st congressional district race
- Angelina Jolie Could Lose Physical Custody of Kids to Brad Pitt
- Trump's ZTE deal challenged by Senate
- Heroic raccoon scales Minnesota office building
- AT&T wins court approval to buy Time Warner for $85 billion
- How anti-Trump hysteria helps the president on North Korea
- US, Mexico, Canada embark on World Cup history with winning bid
- Triple Crown victor Justify returns to Churchill Downs for a victory lap
- Storm chances and heat to finish out the weekend
- ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Officially Passes $2 Billion at the Box Office