"Guys were just sick and exhausted of his act", said Haywood, according to Howard Beck of Sports Illustrated.
Now, six years later, Howard is finally headed to Brooklyn.
The Hornets acquired Howard nearly exactly a year ago from the Atlanta Hawks to add rim protection as that veteran Charlotte roster was looking to make a playoff run.
A person familiar with the situation says the Charlotte Hornets have agreed to trade eight-time All-Star center Dwight Howard to the Brooklyn Nets for center Timofey Mozgov and two future second-round draft picks.
But now, thanks, surprisingly to a trade for Dwight Howard, the Nets nightmare might finally be over.
Howard will suit up for his third team in three seasons, becoming somewhat of an National Basketball Association journeyman after being a staple in Orlando during the start of his career.
It appears Howard - a surefire Hall of Famer - has worn out his welcome in another locker room. Both Atlanta and Charlotte decided they needed to move on from him as soon as new general managers took over those franchises.
For the Nets, the deal will clear around $17 million in cap space after next season. Howard could even be bought out by the Nets, though that has not been publicly broached to this point. He is due to make $23.8 million this season, the final year of his contract. Now, six years later, Howard is finally in Brooklyn.
- Mo Salah scores but Russian Federation thumps Egypt
- Texas Border Patrol Chase Ends in Crash, 5 Immigrants Killed
- REPRT: Chris Paul’s Main Focus Is Recruiting LeBron James to Houston
- Two Koreas agree to field unified teams for Asian Games
- Outrage as Lord Sugar tweets 'racist' Senegal image
- BJP quits government in Jammu and Kashmir, ends alliance with PDP
- Illinois Republicans in Congress break from Trump over border children
- Theresa May suffers setback as justice minister resigns over Brexit policy
- Blatter Claims Ireland & UK Deserve To Host 2030 World Cup
- China's Oppo enters Europe and U.S. phone market with £999 flagship