No image has galvanized revulsion toward Donald Trump's "zero tolerance" immigration policy like the one showing a two-year-old Honduran girl crying-the only light coming from the vehicles around her-as a US border patrol agent searches her mother near the Mexican border.
The Trump administration's policy that effectively separated families crossing the U.S. border has held up a big, glaring mirror to America's moral character. Pulitzer-winning photographer John Moore says he had to pause after taking it.
According to Time, Moore had said,"This one was tough for me".
"As a father myself, it was very hard for me to see these families detained, knowing that they would soon be split up", Moore told Getty's blog Foto. The original photograph, that had gone viral, captured a Honduran girl crying as her mother was being detained in McAllen in Texas. "But then it was over and they drove away." he said, adding that he wanted to stop her crying.
Cover of the July edition of Time magazine.
Trump had initially responded to criticisms by claiming that it was not in his power to reverse the family separation policy, which his own administration had implemented. They were promptly apprehended by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and relocated to a processing centre.
The photographer who snapped the now-iconic shot of the little Honduran girl told Time about the scene.
First lady Melania Trump visited an immigration detention facility on Thursday. More adults were being put behind bars as a result, which had led to their children being separated from them.
"Most of us here had heard the news that the administration had planned to separate families, and these people really had no idea about this news, and it was hard to take these pictures knowing what was coming next", Moore said.
- Germany tells Trump to stop lying about their crime rate
- Microsoft buys student video discussion platform Flipgrid
- 99.6% of Iceland's TV viewers watched Argentina draw
- New Zealand gets new prime minister as Jacinda Ardern goes into labor
- Ferry sinks in Sumatra, dozens missing
- Mickelson Hits Moving Ball with Putter, Receives Sextuple Bogey
- European Union levies tariffs on $3.2B on USA goods over metals duties
- Trump to sign decree to end migrant family separations
- Junket tourism
- Giant Hogweed, plant that causes third-degree burns and blindness, is spreading