The company is not specific about its reasons for shutting down Messenger, but the writing has been on the wall for some time, given the dominance today of Facebook's WhatsApp and Messenger, Snapchat, WeChat and a number of others.
The company said that while the service has "many loyal fans", it will abandon the chat app in favor of newer messaging tools "that better fit consumer needs". If you want to, you can download your chat history for the next six months by accessing this link. Yahoo Messenger, on the other hand, failed to evolve as quickly.
Those who are still clinging to the age-old messaging service will be redirected to a new group messaging app, Squirrel, The Next Web reported. "We recommend that you delete the app after you've downloaded your chat history and anything else you'd like to save". The company said that users can download their chat history to their devices; this option will be available for the next 6 months.
Initially released in 1998 as Yahoo!
Yahoo will be pulling the plug on its instant messaging application Yahoo Messenger. Pager, but was later rebranded under the Messenger title.
Yahoo Messenger also let users add custom avatars, away messengers and music tones for notifications.
One Twitter user said they even met their wife while using Yahoo Messenger.
Alongside that, the company, as a part of Oath, is now owned by Verizon, the telecoms behemoth.
However, Yahoo Messenger could not keep up with messaging services from competitors such as Facebook, Apple, and Google.
- Twitter reacts to news of Anthony Bourdain’s death
- Sikh soldier wears turban in Queen's official birthday parade
- EA reveals Unravel Two and Sea of Solitude under its Originals label
- Hamilton says getting record-tying seventh Canada GP win may be tougher
- Anthem Receives a Litany of New Screenshots Following EA Play
- Search teams find body of woman attacked by alligator in Florida
- Dominic Thiem Ends Run of Giant-Killer Cecchinato
- Trump withdraws endorsement of G7 joint statement, slams 'weak' Trudeau
- Battlefield 5 will feature a battle-royale mode
- Romero misses weight for UFC 225 main event