Goals by Harry Maguire and Dele Alli either side of halftime put the 1966 world champions through at Samara Arena, while heroics from man-of-the-match Jordan Pickford in front of goal ensured they held on.
"The team were resilient, defended well and dominated the game".
"We're not the finished article, we don't have renowned world-class players yet", he said.
They've got a lot of quality.
So how are the team feeling as they prepare to play Croatia on Wednesday? It was important we had belief in the gameplan, played the way we want to play and how we know we can play, dominated possession, but be patient as well. Croatia, England's next opponents, have constantly varied formation and shifted around their team but Southgate is unlikely to react.
He pleaded with Premier League clubs to show faith in youngsters, who often find their chances restricted by the vast number of foreign imports. But youth, efficiency, and belief have carried this team within one victory of the World Cup final. "That's what we want to do".
Pickford had relatively little to do in a quiet first half, but the England goalkeeper produced a vital stop to claw away a Marcus Berg header minutes after the restart.
Only Owen, who netted as an 18-year-old at France 98, has scored a World Cup goal for England at a younger age but rather than basking in the moment, Alli was holding himself to higher standards.
Sweden set up on Saturday to make it hard, to throw their bodies at everything and try their best to keep a clean sheet. Lingard's cross for Alli's goal was also excellent.
It was just a second England victory over Sweden in nine competitive meetings, and sets up a clash with either hosts Russian Federation or Croatia on July 11 in Moscow for a place in the final.
He said the players are desperate to make next Sunday's final as an improbable triumph edges ever closer. "To get through the two games this week we needed all of that".
"This World Cup has been insane so far so hopefully it will continue like that". None of us fancied going home.
- Thailand tourist boat sinking: death toll rises, at least 33 confirmed dead
- England dreaming but Croatia set to provide biggest SWC test
- Elon Musk leaves 'impractical kid-sized sub' at Thailand cave
- Federation Internationale de Football Association acknowledges World Cup fever in Bangladesh
- Cheap device could stall Apple's new USB port lock
- IHOb is dead and we're back to IHOP again
- Judge says USA must reunite migrant families or face penalties
- Lando Calrissian Confirmed For Star Wars: Episode IX
- Houston Rockets Determined To Sign Carmelo Anthony
- Rescue mission day two : four more boys evacuated