The heat is hanging in there but take heart - it was a mere 18 C at dawn Tuesday and daytime highs will stay in the 20s by Friday. Daytime highs again will be in the low 30s with humidex near 40.
"A cold front is going to come Thursday night, and that will drop our temperatures back to more normal ones, especially for this weekend", says Cheng.
Heat warnings were also in place for New Brunswick, P.E.I and Nova Scotia, where similarly intense conditions could push the humidex close to 40 on Thursday.
"We can anticipate seeing more frequent heat alerts because the threshold has been lowered but that threshold is actually based on an up-to-date analysis of where we actually start to see impacts on human health", says Dr. Strang.
So far the heat has only broken one record in Toronto - on Friday, Pearson airport hit a high of 35.4 degrees. You haven't felt anything yet, according to Environment Canada. The highest July 1 temperature recorded in Ottawa between 1939 and 2011 was 36.9 C in 1963.
Humidex values reaching 43 are expected.
Drouin says the victims fit the profile of people authorities describe as at risk: those with chronic illness or mental-health problems, people who live alone and people without air conditioning at home.
"This will be the most significant heat event in the past few years", Environment Canada said in the heat warning for the national capital area posted on its website.
The City of Toronto continues to have seven cooling stations open across the city as well as public, air-conditioned spaces like libraries and community centres available so people can catch a break from the never ending heat wave.
- A Compromise On Migration Keeps German Chancellor Angela Merkel In Power
- Ronaldo to Juventus: Come and get me
- Is Cristiano Ronaldo On HIs Way To Juve?
- Without Messi, Ronaldo, who will reign at this World Cup?
- Spain's Playing Style 'Clear' to Russia - Head Coach Cherchesov
- Samsung launches Galaxy On6 with Infinity Display at Rs 14,490 in India
- Vladmir Putin-Donald Trump Summit Set For July 16 In Helsinki
- Stipe Miocic Reacts To LeBron James Leaving Cleveland Again
- 1 dead, multiple injured in Bahamian boat explosion | Staff
- Meet hero Chandrashekhar Sawant, whose alertness helped avert major tragedy in Mumbai