Croatia's Luka Modric holds his Golden Ball award at the end of the final match between France and Croatia at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia, Sunday, July 15, 2018.
The went down to defeat against France in the final on Sunday thanks to an own goal from Mario Mandzukic, a penalty from Antoine Griezmann, and second-half goals from Paul Pogba and teenage star Kylian Mbappe, although Ivan Perisic and Mandzukic got on the scoresheet in reply.
The Liverpool centre-back also claimed "France didn't play football".
"I think we were better". They waited for their chances and scored. They had their own tactic and you need to respect that.
"France have been one of the favourites to win the World Cup and they did".
"I'm disappointed because we lost the game, we played much, much better football than them, but on the other hand I'm proud of this team and what we have achieved", Lovren said after the final, quoted by SBS.
France, crowned champions for the second time, won a controversial penalty after a review prompted by the video assistant referee.
On arriving back in the Croatian capital Zagreb on Monday, they players were met by thousands of cheering fans who lined the roads as the team made their way from the airport to the city in an open-top bus. Maybe we can put things into perspective in a couple of months. I really do not understand. "A lot of people say it's not a penalty but what can we do now?" "Nobody understands the rules".
- Target tries to one up Amazon with one-day sale
- Weymouth police officer, elderly woman killed after suspect takes officer's gun
- Ronaldo arrives in Italy to complete Juventus move
- Trump's trip to the United Kingdom has many hallmarks of a state visit
- Barack Obama arrives in Kenya to help launch sister's sports center
- Germany Can 'No Longer Completely Rely On White House'
- Jorginho: Napoli midfielder joins Chelsea on five-year deal
- Team of the Fifa World Cup
- Die Hard is not a Christmas movie
- Berks native Taylor Swift returns to perform in home state