University of Oklahoma alumnus Ed Harris received a nod for best lead actor in a drama series for his role as the Man in Black on HBO's acclaimed series "Westworld", the popular reboot of the 1973 film that just wrapped its twisty second season.
Game of Thrones garnered a whopping 22 nominations - the most for any series this year.
The Handmaid's Tale was one of the big winners with 20 nominations overall.
Another streamed series, Hulu's "The Handmaid's Tale", earned 20 nominations and a chance to defend its title as best drama series at the 70th Primetime Emmy ceremony airing September 17 on NBC.
Besides the repeat nomination for Dowd, "The Handmaid's Tale" scored nods for Drama Series, Actress in a Drama Series (Elisabeth Moss), Supporting Actor in a Drama Series (Joseph Fiennes), and two additional nominations for Supporting Actress in a Drama Series (Alexis Bledel and Yvonne Strahovski).
Netflix also showed its dominance over the traditional free-to-air and cable TV networks. Chance was nominated in the same category previous year for "Last Christmas", a song he co-wrote for SNL's "Jingle Barack" sketch. NBC shows earned 78 nods.
Other Australians who missed out on nominations included Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development), Hugo Weaving (Patrick Melrose), Elizabeth Debicki (The Tale) and Jim Jefferies (The Jim Jefferies Show).
Additionally, John Legend was nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor In A Limited Series Of Movie for his portrayal of Jesus Christ in Jesus Christ Superstar.
Rhys and Brown will be up against Brown's castmate Milo Ventimiglia, along with Jason Bateman for "Ozark" and Ed Harris and Jeffrey Wright for "Westworld".
Beginning at 11:25 am ET, Wiley and Eggold will reveal the nominees for the 70th Primetime Emmy Awards, airing Monday, Sept. 17 (8/7c) on NBC.
- Tit-for-tat tariffs will 'destroy' trade relations with US, says China
- France the favorite to win it all over Croatia on Sunday
- Eight boys rescued from Thai cave recovering — Sunglasses and chocolates
- Thailand cave rescue Brit diver says: 'We are not heroes'
- Off-centre Museum of London 'target' Southgate's waistcoat 1 hour ago
- Puerto Rican T-shirt video controversy results in officer's resignation
- Paul Farbrace: Joe Root has to learn a lot from Eoin Morgan
- India thump England to clinch T20 series after Rohit Sharma century
- Harry urges action on modern-day crises as he visits starvation memorial
- "It Was A Crazy Moment" - Photographer On That Croatia Goal Celebration