Croatia will now play France in Sunday's final and for England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford it was a case of what might have been.
England easily won that match to reach their first World Cup semi final since 1990, but Kane - who had previously scored in every game he'd played at the tournament - was fairly anonymous and did not seem to be running with his usual speed or enthusiasm.
England captain Kane told ITV Sport: "It's tough". 'We worked so hard, the fans were unbelievable, it was a tough game, a 50-50 game, when we look back we will think there's stuff we could have done better.
"We worked as hard as we could.it hurts, it hurts a lot and it will hurt for a long time. We said we want to write our own history and hopefully we can go one step further and get to the final". The whole England team have to keep their minds on their goal.
"We created some good chances, being 1-0 up we got a little too deep at times and didn't get enough pressure on the ball".
"It has been great to get to this stage, we've done everyone proud, but we've fallen a bit short".
"If we'd got that goal before half-time or in the first 15 minutes of the second half you might have the opportunity to win the game. It's going to be a hard task for all of us".
If you are heading to Moscow to support Harry and the rest of the England team, take a look at our travel insurance options and make sure your every need is covered while overseas. We weathered some storms.
"We've shown pride and passion". Look at the fans tonight, there was a lump in my throat watching the fans applaud us at the end. "Over the past several days, we've enjoyed it even more because we know what's been going on back at home".
- 'Unfazed' by attack, ANP vows to continue election campaign
- Netflix Topples HBO in Emmy Nominations
- Prince William and Duchess Kate christen third child Prince Louis
- Administration Suspends Billions in Payoffs to Obamacare Insurers | Trending
- From EU's Donald To US' Donald, "Dear Trump, Appreciate Your Allies"
- Liverpool Expect To Sign Xherdan Shaqiri In Next Two Weeks
- Serena Williams issues defiant statement of intent over Margaret Court record
- Trump releases 'very nice' letter from Kim Jong Un
- Princess Charlotte to photographers: 'You're not coming'
- Instagram model, 19, bitten by shark while taking photos in Bahamas