"REDUCE PRICING NOW!", Trump tweeted on Wednesday, accusing OPEC of "doing little to help" lower pump prices. His latest was a reminder that the USA defends many OPEC members for "very little" money. This must be a two way street. In return Saudi Arabia will protect US motorists against an increase in gasoline prices.
Crude oil prices in recent days have hit their highest levels since late 2014.
The growing United States pressure on the world to totally stop buying Iranian oil has produced a warning from top Iranian officials that the world economy, and America's economy in particular, would pay a severe price from such a ban. "We also expect Venezuelan production to decline a further 150,000 bbl/d towards year-end, with risks still skewed to the downside", Bjørnar Tonhaugen, vice president of oil market research at Rystad Energy, said. The global community had expected sanctions waivers for some countries, a tactic used in the Obama era to avoid supply shocks.
A survey of analyst expectations from S&P Global Platts revealed expectations of a drain on USA crude oil inventories of 4.5 million barrels last week, adding support to the concerns about a market deficit.
In response, Ardebili warned, "Your tweets have driven the prices up by at least $10 per barrel".
Kazempour said Trump was trying to intensify tensions between Iran and Saudi Arabia. "Please stop this method".
On Tuesday, crude closed near 78 dollars per barrel, driven higher by a sharp drop in USA inventories and the expectation of more drivers hitting the road for the July 4 holiday. The price of diesel fuel used largely by truckers was $3.17 a gallon, up 30 percent from a year ago, AAA said. Plus, a report today from data-provider Genscape Inc. was said to show Texas Gulf Coast crude stockpiles rose by about 431,000 barrels last week. But the tougher USA approach now makes the bank's analysts think that Iran's exports to Europe, Japan, and South Korea-a total of 1 million bpd-would "fall to minimal levels".
Brent for September settlement advanced 46 cents to end the session at US$77.76 a barrel on the London-based ICE Futures Europe exchange.
- Scott Pruitt, plagued by scandals, resigns as EPA administrator, Trump says
- Sheriff's office: 92-year-old refuses assisted living, shoots and kills son
- Senate Intel agrees with assessment that Russian Federation meddled to help Trump
- Sacha Baron Cohen Is Upping His Feud With President Trump
- Stipe Miocic Sounds Off On LeBron James Ditching Cleveland, Signing With Lakers
- Clever tyre management key to win - Verstappen
- Smoke hangs over Yolo County as fire fight continues
- Tropical Depression forms in the Atlantic
- Gareth Southgate: England's end to penalty jinx deserved
- Senate Republicans Meet Lavrov in Moscow Ahead of Trump-Putin Summit