The Three Lions were aiming to reach their first World Cup final since 1966 but suffered a 2-1 loss to Croatia, with Mario Mandzukic scoring the victor in extra-time.
As expected, tonight's match proved to be an entertaining one for the neutrals and a stressful experience for English supporters, who have always been claiming that this is the year it finally comes home again.
England had only ever played there once (a 2-1 defeat to Russian Federation back in 2007), and it seems like the curse / losing streak is destined to continue for the time being.
Gifted a relatively soft draw by the early exit of a number of traditional World Cup superpowers, England reached the semi-finals of a major tournament for the first time since Euro 1996, when Southgate was part of the team.
At this year's World Cup, teams can pay a heavy price for not getting a second goal to reward itself for a dominating period of play.
"I must say the support we've had from home and the feeling of support is huge. I feel there'll be an affinity and something we can build on".
Southgate said of the crushing defeat to Croatia: "We knew the team we brought was the most inexperienced team in the competition and the only way we're going to boost that is by playing in more tournament games". "We want to finish on a high and these players deserve to finish on a high".
"The honest thing is, it's not a game any team wants to play in", said Southgate, whose side have drawn praise for the way they have briefly united a country bitterly divided over Brexit.
I mean, this is some Tami/Coach Taylor level support right here, so it's no surprise that people were SHOOK.
The Red Devils boast a formidable squad however their opponents are also in the running to end their World Cup experience on a positive note.
"You're never gifted an England appearance, but if I play, then that's brilliant", Butland said in a news conference.
- Russian head coach Cherchesov: "We'll do even better at Qatar 2022!"
- Game of Thrones racks up 22 Emmy nominations
- Paul Farbrace: Joe Root has to learn a lot from Eoin Morgan
- Rafael Nadal edges del Potro to set Novak Djokovic clash — ATP Wimbledon
- Americans warned to keep a low profile
- "It Was A Crazy Moment" - Photographer On That Croatia Goal Celebration
- Thailand cave rescue Brit diver says: 'We are not heroes'
- Nawaz Sharif's flight lands in Lahore; arrested from airport
- Stormy Daniels Arrested In Ohio Strip Club, Michael Avenatti Says
- Jubilant Croatia fans revel in World Cup semi-final win over England