Five-time victor Venus Williams opens on Court One against Kiki Bertens.
That match was briefly interrupted by a swarm of flying ants.
After serving out for the first set, Federer didn't drop a single point on his serve in the second and kept that streak going until he was 30-0 up at 4-1 in the third - when Lacko finally sent a backhand victor down the line. It is timed for release as the anticipation crests with Roger as returning champion, 10 years after their famed 2008 Wimbledon championship - an epic match so close and so reflective of their competitive balance that, in the end, the true victor was the sport itself.
Federer again opted to skip the clay-court season to prepare himself for Wimbledon and will take some stopping as he goes in search of a 99th tournament triumph at the All England Club. She produced her best tennis to save three match points when 5-3 and 40-0 behind, and saved another before breaking to level the set.
If Williams wins her eighth Wimbledon title next week, her first as a married woman, how would her name appear on the Champions Board?
It's been an up and down season for Keys, but she has performed well at the majors - she reached last year's US Open final and this year's French Open semis, both of which she lost to compatriot and friend Sloane Stephens. She will face the victor of Tatjana Maria vs. Kristina Mladenovic in the third round.
"I haven't played her in a while".
Has Williams - the current world number 181- already justified Wimbledon's decision to give her a seeding?
About 90 minutes earlier, when Roger Federer, a married father of four who preceded Williams on Centre Court, won his match, the chair umpire said, "Game, set and match, Federer".
Slovakian Lacko, who is ranked 73rd in the world, saved two set points at 5-3 but couldn't prevent Federer from taking the first set on a rapid service game. A single break in each of the first two sets was enough for him as he remained entirely untroubled on his own serve.
Wednesday's result increased Federer's streak to 26 straight sets at Wimbledon, equaling his second-best run, which came in 2003-04.
- Smoke hangs over Yolo County as fire fight continues
- Senate Intel agrees with assessment that Russian Federation meddled to help Trump
- Oil prices chart new territory on supply-side concerns
- Brazil's Willian gives tips on how to stop Chelsea teammate Eden Hazard
- Fortnite Invites You To A Private Playground
- Dwight Howard joining Wizards on one-year deal
- Colombia ambassador 'sad' over Sun headline ahead of England World Cup clash
- U.S. immigration: what is Ice and why is it controversial?
- Woman climbs Statue of Liberty to protest Trump immigration policies
- Scott Pruitt, plagued by scandals, resigns as EPA administrator, Trump says