This still image taken from video Courtesy of PIX11 News in NY, shows police (L) talking to a woman who climbed to the base of the Statue of Liberty in NY on July 4, 2018.
It's unclear whether the climb is related to the earlier banner demonstration.
In 2000, 12 people protesting the Navy's use of the Puerto Rican Island of Vieques for bombing exercises were arrested after a man climbed out on the spires of the statue's crown and attached flags and banners to it.
The climb was hard enough that it took NYPD officers about three hours to reach her and get her down. The ordeal lasted roughly four hours.
The officers said initially she was hostile, but they kept calmly talking to her.
Though Guadino said the group supports the woman and "certainly understand the feeling that motivated her to do this", they were very concerned for her safety. "It's our busiest week of the year, historically", Willis continued.
A member of the protest group Rise and Resist, which hung the banner, told CBS News that the woman who climbed onto the statue's pedestal was a fellow member, CBS News correspondent Anna Werner reports.
"She is refusing to cooperate and our efforts to engage her are ongoing at this minute", Sgt. David Somma, a spokesman for the National Park Service, told Reuters before the woman was apprehended. She refused to go to the police and would not leave or come down.
One eyewitness, Eric Kwasi Oppongto, posted a short video of the incident on Twitter which he said involved an individual with a T-shirt emblazoned with "Trump care makes me sick" and "Rise and Resist". It was later found out that the other seven had a banner stating "Abolish ICE", but the climber was not with them.
Okoumou, 44, of Staten Island, was expected to appear in federal court in Manhattan later Thursday.
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Kuldeep Yadav - From Dharamsala to Manchester - Five Standout Spells Since International Debut
- Sheriff's office: 92-year-old refuses assisted living, shoots and kills son
- Stipe Miocic Sounds Off On LeBron James Ditching Cleveland, Signing With Lakers
- Dwight Howard joining Wizards on one-year deal
- Brazil's Willian gives tips on how to stop Chelsea teammate Eden Hazard
- Colombia ambassador 'sad' over Sun headline ahead of England World Cup clash
- Sacha Baron Cohen Is Upping His Feud With President Trump
- Uruguay vs Portugal Player Ratings: Cavani brace smash Ronaldo’s hopes
- Fortnite Invites You To A Private Playground