With a team featuring Davor Šuker, Zvonimir Boban, and Robert Prosinečki and wearing blue shirts with a distinctive red and white chequerboard pattern, they beat World Cup giants Germany 3-0 in the quarter-finals in France, sparking delirium at home.
Robbie Williams, who flipped haters the middle finger durng his performance at the World Cup opening ceremony in Moscow last month, gave England's team a thumbs up after they beat Sweden and advanced to the semi-finals.
Croatia captain Modric has been tipped to win the award for the best player at the World Cup, having featured prominently in his country's run to the semi-finals.
Gareth Southgate's men comfortably swept aside Sweden's in the quarter-finals to earn their first semi-final spot since 1990. They also helped Fox hit new ratings highs for its coverage of this year's World Cup.
Well, ever since the inception of the FIFA World Cup, there have been unexpected ousters of relatively stronger teams by the so-called weaker teams in nearly every edition.
England take on Croatia at the Luzhniki Stadium at 1900BST on Wednesday, hoping to get the win that would see them return to the same venue to face either France or Belgium in the final. "We've shown all members of our team are risky, so I believe someone will find a way to surprise him".
Looking ahead to the England match, the coach said: "We do not want to stop, we will try to play our best game".
The 31-year-old Lloris describes the Belgium lineup as "quite simply, the most complete side in the tournament, in all aspects of the game".
Barcelona midfielder Rakitic scored the decisive spot-kick as Croatia beat Russian Federation 4-3 on penalties after a dramatic quarter-final in Sochi on Saturday finished 2-2 at the end of extra-time.
Fernandes's header was the 66th set-piece goal scored at the 2018 World Cup out of 157 in total.
The two sides have not played each other since September 2009, but there does seem to be a pattern throughout the seven matches they have played. "The most important thing for me is that my national team succeeded and that we do something big".
Despite defeat, the home fans broke into heartfelt applause as they cheered their beaten side long and loud after the final whistle in recognition of their achievements against the odds.
"I, of course, believe England will win, and hopefully won't have to go through to penalties as Croatia have been quite good on that". Their generation are more than heroes for us, ' added Rakitic. It was a great experience I could talk about for days.
- YouTube stars have died after falling into a waterfall pool in Canada
- Donald Trump names Brett Kavanaugh to Supreme Court
- ‘Three Lions’ roars up charts as England prepare for World Cup semi
- Mexico star Guardado hits back at Neymar with taunt over Brazil's exit
- Daniel Cormier claims UFC heavyweight championship with KO of Stipe Miocic
- Croatia beat Russian Federation on penalties to set up England semi-final
- Germany: Merkel pledges 'every effort' to avert United States trade war
- How Gareth Southgate has risen above the blather
- Aides fear president will erupt over protests
- Beckham photoshops Ibrahimovic after World Cup bet win