A man has been arrested after a number of pedestrians were injured when a vehicle crashed into security barriers outside the Houses of Parliament, Scotland Yard said.
The auto left the road and hit into the group before coming to a stop at barriers outside the building at about 7.37am local time.
Police said in a tweet that Westminster station on the London Underground, or Tube network, was closed to entry from outside.
"Someone driving towards parliament at speed, it wasn't a normal, it's not a minor like accident, it's not like a road traffic incident", witness Jason Williams told Sky News. Westminster is now in lockdown as they try to secure the area.
Khalid Masood ploughed a 4X4 into crowds before he was shot outside Parliament, injuring 50 people and killing 5 people, including a police officer. Eyewitnesses who took to the micro-blogging platform Twitter described seeing at least one cyclist receiving medical attention from paramedics.
The crash occurred at 7:37 a.m. local time. A number of ambulances arrived at the scene.
Picture taken with permission from the Twitter feed of Ewelina U Ochab of the auto (right) which crashed into security barriers outside the Houses of Parliament.
The male driver has been detained and police are investigating.
'A number of pedestrians have been injured.
Officers remain on the scene. "We will issue further info when we have it".
"There will be the full contingent of police, armed police, counter-terrorism police".
- Turkey taking action to ease market concerns
- Can Manchester United win the Premier League this season?
- Partial solar eclipse set to happen on August 11
- Eazy Calls Out Kanye West for Not Answering Kimmel's Trump Question
- Arsenal vs. Manchester City live stream
- NASA probe launches into space to study the sun
- Trump's 'doubling' of steel, aluminum tariffs on Turkey violates WTO rules: ministry
- Erdogan tells Turks to buy plunging lira as Trump doubles metals tariffs
- Extraordinary bowling records held by James Anderson
- Liverpool and City win opening Premier League games