'I hope someone can catch them - it would be nice, so hopefully Manchester United can.
At the other end of the scale, Tottenham did not spend a penny or sign a single player, while Crystal Palace were also frugal spenders with £9.5m on three players - including scooping Schalke youngster Max Meyer on a free transfer.
"Is hard for me to understand, to feel, to believe we finish second - which I keep saying, and it is sometimes hard to believe, that I won eight championships and three Premier League's but I keep feeling the second last season was one of my biggest achievements in the game".
Pep Guardiola's star-studded side may be the team to beat once more this season but Red Devils legend Rooney believes Jose Mourinho could topple the club's biggest rivals if he completes two more signings.
On the eve of the 2018-19 campaign, here's how the three latest additions to the division fared in the summer transfer window.
The interior designers recruited into The Theatre of Dreams have obviously been more productive than chairman Ed Woodward this season in giving United a makeover, and the results are sure to make the rest of the Premier League green with envy, radiating class and sophistication. For the first time since the summer transfer window was introduced 15 years ago, one team spent nothing: Tottenham Hotspurs. But strong performances in Russian Federation weren't a necessity when it came to Premier League clubs deciding whether to spend the fruits of soccer's biggest television contracts. They couldn't even sign a player from the Championship. Striker Harry Kane committed his future to Tottenham before heading to the 2018 World Cup in Russian Federation and finishing as the top-scorer as England reached the semi-finals. "We recognise the achievement in keeping our squad together, for now at least, and in getting key players to agree new contracts".
Dele chalked up 22 goals and 13 assists in 50 appearances in all competitions that season, and a return similar to those numbers this time around could make a huge difference for the north London outfit. And a squad that most rational observers would agree could benefit from more depth.
- Heavy security marks Charlottesville protests anniversary
- Judge orders migrants returned to USA in midst of deportation flight
- Maurizio Sarri already has some 'regrets' over Chelsea's transfer window
- Trump Calls Omarosa 'A Lowlife' After N-Word Claim Surfaces
- Derby County make Malone their eighth summer signing
- Kawhi Leonard pens thank you letter to fans, Spurs
- ‘The place is going to burn,’ arson suspect allegedly texted before fire
- Wolves approach Leicester City for Danny Simpson
- Bairstow & Woakes put England in strong position at Lord’s
- Sony's Spider-Man Universe Gets an Official Name!