It turns out that they can be very effective at teamwork because it seems that the bots managed to beat a group of professional DotA 2 players.
In order to make the game manageable for AI bots, the game was tweaked a bit.
The humans were absolutely destroyed in the first match as the OpenAI FIVE bots routed them with precise long range sniper shots, slows, and silences. Despite the wealth of experience on the team, the humans could do little against the never-ending onslaught and precision of OpenAI, and they quickly lost in humiliating fashion.
The human vs machine challenge began with a warmup match against the audience, which OpenAI won easily.
That being said, it should be noted that on the OpenAI's website, they admitted that the game was not your standard DotA 2 game as there had to be certain modifications made to how the game was run. The opening to the tournament saw members of the audience facing off against OpenAI as a sort of benchmark of their prowess. This was an implemented as an extension of adding a win probability output to the neural network to introspect what OpenAI Five is predicting. After all, the victory of the non-profit AI research company's bot collective over humans in a strategic MMORPG is just one of many instances of computational technology growing smarter by the day.
Given that OpenAI Five had already won, for game 3 the audience was invited to draft OpenAI Five's heros and chose an adversarial lineup that was described as "fairly Looney-Tunes".
Just recently, OpenAI showed off that it's system was intelligent enough to face off against human opposition, learning and exploring the many complexities of Dota 2 at a rapid rate compared to the human mind.
Dota 2 is available now for PC, Mac, and Linux. The best gamers in the world are machines.
- Ben Schwartz to Voice Sonic the Hedgehog in Live-Action Movie
- Manafort Trial Defense Chips Away at Credibility of Star Witness Gates
- Meghan Markle has 'not contacted' father, says half-sister
- Look England seek to surpass India without Stokes at Lord’s
- #TRAILERCHEST: Michael Moore releases trailer for Trump documentary Fahrenheit 11/9
- Sony unveils translucent PS4 Pro 500 Million Limited Edition to celebrate sales
- 'Superman' star Margot Kidder died from 'self-inflicted drug and alcohol overdose'
- Calling Boris Johnson Islamophobic for criticising the burka is preposterous
- Great white shark jumps out of water under researcher's feet
- Incredible footage of Israel intercepting mid-air rocket from Gaza