If the leaked team-sheet proves authentic, then Kohli and the team management have opted to field the same playing XI that had lost the first Test of the five-match series at Edgbaston last week.
Both Kohli and Rahane survived the early jitters from the English pacers to start the rebuilding work with a 34-run fourth wicket stand before the in-form India captain fell to Chris Woakes.
Jimmy Anderson took 5-20 as England bowled India out for 107 in 15.2 overs.
Put in to bat after incessant rain completely washed out the opening day, India failed to recover from the early jolts of openers Murali Vijay (0) and Lokesh Rahul (8) before the showers disrupted the proceedings in the morning session.
With the forecast set fair for Saturday, it will be the turn of England's batsmen to drive home the advantage given to them by their bowlers on a day where there were two stoppages for rain spanning more than five hours.
Earlier, India made a decision to play with two spinners in Ravichandran Ashwin and Kuldeep Yadav, whereas Cheteshwar Pujara had a horrific return to Test cricket.
After a delay of more than two hours, the players returned for 12 balls, during which Kohli and Pujara groped around trying to find the ball as Anderson and Stuart Broad terrorised them under leaden skies.
But it was new-ball partner Mohammed Shami who struck first when, from around the wicket, he had Keaton Jennings, aiming across the line, lbw for 11.
Nothing doing: Rain clouds hang above the pitch at Lord's.
"We exploit those conditions as well as anyone in the world".
That brought debutant Ollie Pope to the crease and Surrey's talented 20-year-old showed no signs of nerves as he combined with Root to take the score to 77-2. While left-arm spinner Kuldeep Yadav and Ravichandran Ashwin may play a key role to trap Englishmen.
- France floods: 1,600 tourists evacuated and one missing at campsites
- Michigan Democrats hoping for pink and blue wave in November
- Tiger Woods battles inflammation ‘everywhere’ this week at PGA Championship
- Trump's new tariffs on Turkey are actually benefiting Russian Federation
- Sony's Spider-Man Universe Gets an Official Name!
- Manchester United down Leicester in Premier League opener
- ‘The place is going to burn,’ arson suspect allegedly texted before fire
- DOOM Eternal gets bloody gameplay footage
- Laurent Koscielny named Arsenal's main captain by head coach Unai Emery
- Kentucky Senator Delivers Letter To Russia