On Tuesday, Subtropical Storm Debby formed in the North Atlantic Ocean.
- Hurricane John advanced northwestward along Mexico's western coast on Wednesday and it was expected to stir up heavy surf and drop rain on the southern Baja California Peninsula while keeping away from landfall. Infrared data from NASA's Aqua satellite provided forecasters with temperature data that showed the cloud top temperatures in John had cooled indicating the storm was strengthening.
However, only a small deviation to the north of the forecast track could bring tropical storm force winds to the Big Island later tonight or on Wednesday. It was centered about 850 miles (1,365 kilometers) east-southeast of Hilo, Hawaii, and was moving west at 16 mph (26 kph).
A tropical storm warning has been issued for Hawaii County as Hurricane Hector continues its approach toward Hawaiian waters.
The current forecast for Debby retains subtropical storm status through Wednesday (8/8) morning before weakening to a depression by Wednesday evening.
Surf along east-facing shores is already building and will peak later today and tonight, at 12 to 15 feet for the Big Island, mainly for the Puna and Ka'ū Districts.
John was expected to strengthen rapidly and become a major hurricane by late Tuesday. All these conditions tend to be associated with quieter Atlantic hurricane season. Forecasters note that hurricane-force winds extend up to 35 miles from the center of the storm, and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 105 miles. Debby poses no threat to land, the hurricane center said. It will turn to the northeast by the weekend, keeping it clear of the U.S. No impacts will be felt here in eastern Carolina.
- German couple jailed for selling son to pedophiles on the internet
- Saudi Arabia Appears To Be Trying To Tank Canadian Asset Prices
- Man saved from quake-flattened mosque on Indonesia island
- Chris Collins reportedly indicted by federal grand jury on insider trading charges
- U.S. to impose $16 billion import tariffs on China
- Samsung to launch Galaxy Home smart speaker in challenge to Apple's HomePod
- NASA names astronauts for Boeing, SpaceX flights
- Pence lays out plans for Trump's Space Force program at Pentagon
- Iranian president tells North Korea that U.S. is ‘untrustworthy’
- Academy to Add Oscar Category Specifically For Popular Films