West Nile virus is transmitted from birds through bites by the Culex pipiens mosquito.
"The identification of two CT residents with West Nile virus associated illness that required hospitalization underscores the potential seriousness of infection", said DPH Commissioner Dr. Raul Pino in a statement.
Mosquitoes tested at various locations, including Hartford's Keney Park, have tested positive for the West Nile Virus this year.
The CCHD says that the infected person is over the age of 65 and was exhibiting WNV symptoms, which led to being tested, but is not able to release any other patient-specific information due to privacy laws.
Symptoms include severe headaches, fever, vomiting and diarrhea, with the agency recommending to seek immediate medical attention.
This year, deaths have so far been reported in Iowa, North Carolina and Texas.
Public health officials have detected West Nile Virus in a pool of mosquitoes in Stirling-Rawdon.
Experts recommend using insect repellent, avoiding the peak mosquito feeding times of dawn and dusk and wearing loose fitting clothing.
'Until the state's first hard frost, whether it's for work or play, being outside means there's a risk for West Nile virus'.
The Saskatchewan Health Authority is warning Saskatoon residents about West Nile virus after mosquitoes caught in two traps within city limits were confirmed to be infected with the virus. Of those who develop a serious illness from the virus, one in 10 die, according to officials. The health department will also continue spraying pesticides until this year's first "freezing" temperatures.
- Manchester United down Leicester in Premier League opener
- Premier League, NBC Sports, Snapchat and you
- Saudi Arabia's state airline to suspend Canadian operations starting Aug. 13
- Annual Perseids Show peaks this weekend
- College basketball coach charged in fatal LIC assault
- France floods: 1,600 tourists evacuated and one missing at campsites
- Kentucky Senator Delivers Letter To Russia
- Tiger Woods battles inflammation ‘everywhere’ this week at PGA Championship
- Chelsea midfielder ‘very close’ to sealing move away from the Blues
- Canadian police say at least 4 dead in shooting