That is, Chelsea were the Premier League's big spenders in the summer of 2003, but didn't win the league at the end of that season, then outspent everyone else in 2004, 2005 and 2006 as well, winning back-to-back Premier League titles.
"I said many times, we can not spend every season what we spent last season".
Although there has been speculation about a deal for Tottenham's Toby Alderweireld, there has been no offer from United while Leicester remain determined to retain England global Harry Maguire, who has four years left on his contract.
His side face Leicester City in their opening fixture at Old Trafford on Friday and it was put to Mourinho that there was a perception the club had gone backwards over the summer.
"When I listen, when I read - not much but sometimes I do - it is hard to believe that we finished second because you [the media] are capable of making people who finished second look like they were relegated and capable of making people who win nothing and finish below us look like serial winners".
The Reds were one of the most exciting teams to watch in world football last season, thrilling fans with their own unique brand of expansive, high-octane football.
"Is hard for me to understand, to feel, to believe we finish second". "They trained Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and today, so you can imagine they are not really fit and ready". They [Manchester City] have been playing some great football.
"In Championship Manager you can just press a button", he stated. The manager has to decide which way we play. I told that during pre-season.
"So I will have to focus on the players I have and in relation to these first couple of matches - maybe three matches because after Spurs (and Burnley on August 27 and September 1 respectively) there is (a) national team (break) and a couple of weeks to recover people and prepare people better".
- Korea slams U.S. officials for sanctions
- Washington Redskins rookie running back Derrius Guice out for season
- Kelvin Benjamin complimented Panthers WR after preseason game
- Laurent Koscielny named Arsenal's main captain by head coach Unai Emery
- New NCAA Basketball Rule Allows Players To Return To School If Undrafted
- White House Blasts Omarosa’s Book Claiming Trump Used Racist Remarks
- Barcelona duo Yerry Mina and Andre Gomes join Everton
- Baker Mayfield, Saquon Barkley electrify in their preseason debuts
- College basketball coach charged in fatal LIC assault
- Improved Liverpool need to be more clinical for title tilt, says Klopp