Blood tests revealed that Manteufel had an infection caused by the bacteria capnocytophaga, which can come from the saliva of dogs.
Greg Manteufel has been around dogs his entire life, his wife says.
Greg Manteufel, of West Bend, Wisconsin, was sent to the emergency room for what he thought was the flu, Fox6 reported on July 30.
48-year-old Manteufel began to go into septic shock as the mysterious symptoms continued to worsen.
Dawn, his wife, told Fox 6: "It hit him with a vengeance".
'Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat. While in the hospital, Manteufel's blood pressure dropped and the circulation to his limbs rapidly decreased, causing his legs to just "die", doctors said.
"There's no choice. We have no choice but to be positive and make the best of it", said Dawn Manteufel, who had used all her vacation days from her job as a correctional officer at Washington County Jail in West Bend.
Doctors said Greg's case is simply a fluke.
The family has set up a GoFundMe page to cover his many surgeries and prosthetic for his hands and legs - which he'll be fitted for once he recovers from sepsis. She said she didn't know which dog carried the bacteria, but that he had been around eight dogs at the time he got sick, including one that belongs to the couple.
Doctors were forced to amputate his limbs. If you would like to donate to Manteufel medical care, you can do so through the families GoFundMe page.
Up to 74% of dogs and 57% of cats have Capnocytophaga bacteria in their mouths, according to the CDC. "It's just chance", Dr. Munoz-Price added.
The bacteria's transmission can occur through bites, licks or even close proximity to the animals. "This infection in his blood triggered a very severe response on his body", Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist with Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin, told the Milwaukee Patch. These infections are more likely in people over 40 who have an immuno-compromised condition, or in people who excessively use alcohol or who have had their spleen removed, according to the CDC.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated patients infected with the bacteria may have blisters around the bite wound, swelling, redness, fever, headaches, vomiting, diarrhea and muscle and joint pain.
- Uber Kills Self-Driving Truck Division, Clearing the Road for Tesla
- Rare whale-dolphin hybrid discovered in Hawaii, scientists say
- Smoking no longer allowed in NYC Public Housing
- What are the charges against Paul Manafort?
- Celestial Lineup Makes For A Very Bright Mars
- Satellite Images Suggest North Korea Is Up To Something Once Again
- Mexican officials: Airliner crashed after takeoff, no deaths
- Is the #InMyFeelings challenge worth jail time?
- OnePlus surpasses Samsung in India's premium smartphone market for the first time
- Facebook Identifies "Sophisticated Attempt" To Influence Midterms Via Fake Accounts And Pages