Australia, who were frustrated by referee calls all afternoon, then lost full-back Israel Folau to a possible ankle injury as Naholo dismantled their defence, twice.
Folau fell awkwardly after an aerial contest during the second half of the 38-13 loss at Sydney's Olympic stadium and hobbled off the ground.
"They'll want to build bigger and longer momentum patches they'll tidy their line out for sure and they're a hungry side so what we've got to do is the key thing and it's all very fine winning one but you don't win the Bledisloe Cup just winning one".
"It's just a lot of swelling".
Maddocks scored Australia's only try on his Test debut after replacing winger Dane Haylett-Petty for the final 25 minutes on Saturday night and Cheika said he'd have no hesitation starting the 22-year-old should Folau be ruled out.
"Scott's been battling on and off with his shoulder since I think the last couple of rounds of Super Rugby and I think we finally found deep down there what was giving him the problem".
Get 3 months free Sport HD + Entertainment on a 12 month plan and watch the 2018 Bledisloe Cup & 2018 Rugby Championship with no ad-breaks during play.
"Looked like he rolled it when he went up to catch so we will see after he gets a scan exactly what the diagnosis is".
Of even greater concern for the Wallabies than being without their attacking trump is fixing their shaky set piece after losing seven of their eight lineouts and conceding several scrum penalties in the series opener. Then it was our turn to have our moments and whilst we didn't capitalise like we would have liked to have in that 20 minutes we certainly made them work hard.
"It was crucial", he said.
"We'll be hopeful he'll be back for the first game in Brisbane". "The resilience of the boys was awesome".
Read did counsel against complacency though from his side, despite their imperious record at Eden Park, a venue in which they have not tasted defeat since 1994.
"You've got to go out and earn the right to put both hands on it and our preparation this week has to be spot on and it has to be really genuine".
- Tyson Fury motivated by Deontay Wilder bout
- Diego Costa inspires Atletico Madrid to Super Cup win against Real Madrid
- Willian admits he would have left Chelsea if Conte had stayed
- Mourinho: I've never been happier with Pogba than I am right now
- Fox News apologizes for using Patti LaBelle's photo in Aretha Franklin's tribute
- Vatican expresses 'shame and sorrow' over Pennsylvania child abuse scandal
- Omarosa might have as many as 200 secret recordings
- Kenedy: Newcastle midfielder's display to forget at Cardiff City Stadium
- Coroner Positively Identifies Bodies Found Belong To Watts Family
- Smith Rowe stars in Arsenal's new-look side