In an educational talk titled Coconut oil and other nutritional errors, a professor from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health - Dr Karin Michels called the oil pure poison and one of the worst foods a person can possibly eat. Saturated fat is known to raise levels of so-called LDL cholesterol, ...
"I can only warn you urgently about the coconut oil".
"There has been speculation that some of the saturated fat present in coconut oil may be better for us than other saturated fats, but so far there is not enough good-quality research to provide us with a definitive answer". It can be used in moderation, according to Doctor Walter C. Willett, of Harvard's Department of Nutrition. But the carefully-crafted image of coconut oil, as a cure for many ills, has been roundly rejected by a Harvard professor.
Coconut oil has been removed from AHA's list of healthy oil options which include the naturally occurring vegetable oils that are unhydrogenated such as Safflower, Canola, Olive oil, or Sunflower oil.
Yep it turns out that by choosing plant-based oils, nuts and seed butters in place of fats like palm oil, coconut oil, butter, lard and ghee, you'll be doing some very good things for your heart health.
But, saturated fat is a loaded term.
Translated by Business Insider, Michels argues "coconut oil is more unsafe than lard because it nearly exclusively contains saturated fatty acids, ones that can clog the coronary arteries". The danger of high cholesterol have been proven. A 2015 Cochrane review found that cutting back on saturated fats also lowered the risk of cardiovascular disease by 17% - but it didn't change the risk of dying, and there was no benefit to replacing these fats with protein or starchy foods. As CNN reports, almost three-quarters of Americans believe coconut oil to be healthful.
"Coconut oil is better for your face than your body", she tells us.
Klatt agreed, saying that coconut oil "is certainly fine to consume occasionally, when a recipe calls for it".
Over the past few years, using coconut oil in cooking and baking has become a popular food trend.
- French Open to outlaw Serena Williams' catsuit next year
- US, Mexico move closer to NAFTA consensus, but key hurdles remain
- California congressman Duncan Hunter and wife charged with corruption
- Powerful Hurricane Lane lumbers toward Hawaii as residents prepare
- Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe released from Iranian prison for three days
- Autopsy shows Mollie Tibbetts died from 'multiple sharp force injuries'
- Pompeo's call to Pakistan's new premier stirs controversy
- Homeless Tottenham to survey fans on League Cup fixture
- Pope Francis meets Irish abuse victims, expresses ‘shame’
- Zimbabwe: Court validates Mnangagwa win