Bloomberg notes that with Amazon's focus on dense metro areas, those likely to be affected by the cashierless stores include businesses like Subway, Panera and Pret A Manger - restaurants that allow for quick eating or convenient takeaway.
Already, Seattle has three cashierless Amazon Go stores and Chicago welcomed its first Amazon Go store on Monday. United Kingdom -based Pret has 450 locations worldwide, including New York, Boston and Chicago, focusing on fresh, healthy grab-and-go foods.
Amazon's first such store was positioned as a regular grocery store with limited inventory.
AmazonGo outlets each use hundreds of cameras and sensors to detect what customers take off shelves and bill their credit card accounts. At present, the two older locations have salads, sandwiches, snacks, and a small range of groceries; the newer ones don't offer groceries at present. Whole Foods, for instance, started selling Amazon Echo smart speakers nearly immediately after the $13.4 billion acquisition of the grocery chain closed in August 2017.
One person familiar with Amazon Go's development said in an interview with The Seattle Times that the number of stores the company is aiming for has been a subject of debate internally.
Amazon Go is the most distinctive of all of its physical stores.
That many new stores could change people's expectations for convenience stores, forcing other retailers to adopt a cashier-less model.
Amazon's flair for innovation and consumer acumen raise the potential for a major expansion of the Amazon Go format, according to Loop Capital analyst Andrew Wolf.
In December 2016, Amazon unveiled a convenience store in downtown Seattle that replaced cashiers with technology found in self-driving cars.
To recap, shoppers at Amazon Go simply scan their phones loaded with the necessary companion app when they enter, and then grab the items they want, and leave. Its key feature is a complete lack of lines to wait in.
"Amazon is fully aware that they have to be much bigger in consumables and that omnichannel is what's going to work in consumables".
- Jimmy Butler Requests Trade Out Of Minnesota
- SpaceX to announce private moon flight passenger
- ‘Alexa, cook my potato’: Amazon unveils $60 WiFi-connected microwave
- Kavanaugh's accuser NOT ready to testify against Trump's supreme court nominee
- Trump orders declassification, release of Comey texts
- Liverpool 'made a point' with PSG victory - Gomez
- Shipments of iPhone XR to start gaining momentum in October
- "America's Got Talent" crowns new champion
- Court orders release of Nawaz Sharif, daughter
- Airline spells own name wrong