The tropical wave associated with the remnants of Tropical Depression Kirk has regenerated into Tropical Storm Kirk.
A tropical storm watch in effect for St. Vincent and the Grenadines. It wasn't expected to strengthen beyond that but it was expected to dump more rain on parts of the already hard hit Carolinas, some of which are still under water after Hurricane Florence.
According to the NHC, the centre of Tropical Storm Kirk was located near latitude 12.1 North, longitude 54.3 West and is moving toward the west near 18 miles per hour.
The system is moving towards the west north-west near 16 miles per hour (26 km/h).
"This disturbance is likely to redevelop into a tropical cyclone during the next day or two before it moves into an area of highly unfavourable upper-level winds as it approaches the Caribbean Sea", NHC said. It could regain sub-tropical storm status later this week. Forecasters said they expected Kirk to remain on its west-northwestward track until Friday night, as it crosses in to the eastern Caribbean Sea, and is expected to rapidly dissipate again.
"Little change in strength is forecast until Kirk moves through the central Lesser Antilles Thursday afternoon and evening".
But regardless of whether or not Kirk intensifies further this time or remains a tropical storm, forecasters say the conditions up ahead in its path will not be amenable to the its long-term survival.
The longer-term forecast doesn't keep Kirk around for too long.
Across eastern Puerto Rico, Kirk is expected to bring 2 to 4 inches with isolated maximum totals of 6 inches by Friday and Saturday. These rains may produce life-threatening flash floods and mudslides.
- Bollywood actress accuses Nana Patekar of sexual harassment
- 'Sexually violent predator' Bill Cosby, 81, jailed for up to 10 years
- History in the making: Japan lands two rovers on asteroid
- Men: Dark Phoenix Motion Poster Teases Tonight’s Trailer
- Meghan makes first royal solo outing
- Cosby arrives for start of sentencing hearing
- Millionaire couple killed, wife's brother arrested
- 'Real identity' of Russian Novichok poisoning suspect revealed
- US B-52s fly over South and East China Seas
- New Roku boxes offer 4K HDR and Google Assistant support