The Manchester United striker revealed that he plans to retire from Belgium duty following the continental competition in two years' time after helping his nation to third place in the World Cup earlier this year.
However, he has struggled to hold down a regular first-team place under Jose Mourinho at Old Trafford and will be suspended for United's next three domestic games after being sent off at Burnley before the worldwide break.
Rashford was one of few bright sparks for Southgate, scoring both England's goals in a 2-1 defeat to Spain and 1-0 victory over Switzerland in the past week.
Rashford has only started one of Manchester United's four Premier League games this season and it seems that he faces an uphill struggle in trying to get ahead of Romelu Lukaku in the pecking order.
And Adam believes the young forward has made the correct decision if the reports are true.
"Jose thinks the world of Marcus".
"We have to remember that I don't think Harry, at that age, had hardly played anywhere near the matches for Spurs, really".
"Everything he's got - he's got pace, power, he'll learn as he's still young".
"I don't see Rashford ever displacing Lukaku so long as he is there".
Rashford subsequently went to Euro 2016 as England's boy wonder but only played a cameo role in that tournament and was then largely a substitute at this summer's World Cup.
"It gets to the stage where you want to play every week".
Rashford has tentatively been linked with a move away from Old Trafford in the past, but United will undoubtedly be keen to keep hold of him.
"Marcus loves the club and does not want to move but he wants to be a striker or at least play down the middle as a No 10", a United source told the Sun.
Rashford is now suspended for three games after being sent off for violent conduct in United's 2-0 win over Burnley before the global break.
He will serve the first game of a three-match suspension when United travel to face Watford on Saturday evening.
- All you need to know about 'tropical storms'
- George Weah plays for Liberia against Nigeria, aged 51
- Gunman shoots wife, four men dead in California
- EPL: Isaac Success keeps flawless run with Watford
- Kshama Sawant responds to Jeff Bezos' $2 billion charitable fund
- RIP iPhone: Apple discontinues its flagships
- Cynthia Nixon faces off against Andrew Cuomo in NY primary election
- Four Liverpool players in contention for place in FIFPro World11 2018
- Hurricane Florence: Why mandatory evacuations don't always chase away everybody
- Microsoft really doesn't want you to abandon Edge on Windows 10