For now, it's a race between Apple and Huawei to see which of the two companies can be the first to launch a commercial 7nm SoC: Huawei's Kirin 980 will appear in its first device at some as-yet unspecified time in October, while the new iPhone models featuring Apple's A12 Bionic are scheduled for launch on October 26th with pre-orders opening on October 19th.
Price (duh): The iPhone XR isn't cheap, but it's not a $1,000 phone, either.
Design-wise TechRadar's Gareth Beavis says that next to the iPhone XS the new iPhone XR is "not quite as attractive", pointing out its thicker bezels and drawing your attention to the fact that its edges aren't made out of the same premium-feeling materials.
As a result, Hall lowered his forecast for Apple's earnings per share. But it doesn't seem like Apple will be making any more.
Hall isn't the only analyst who fears the XR price tag will depress sales of the 8 Plus.
Update, Sept. 13 at 5:20 a.m. PT: Adds new iPhone XS battery replacement pricing and 2019 pricing for older iPhones.
The iPhone Xr goes for $749, the iPhone Xs starts at $999 and the iPhone Xs Max begins at a whopping $1,099.
The XR is also the first iPhone in years to be sold in a variety of colors, including red, coral, yellow and blue. "I don't think [discontinuation] will impact its resale value".
As such, Gareth concludes that providing you don't want loads of advanced features, no "bells and whistles", then the camera system on the iPhone XR "will do you just fine". Its normal route is to dock the price of previous year's models by $100 and continue selling them, which is what it did for the iPhone 8 and iPhone 7 this year.
Yesterday Apple announced the iPhone XR, a lower-cost new iPhone that sits beneath the American maker's new iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max flagships.
"[This is] a release windowing strategy the movie industry has used for decades to maximize total revenue", she wrote.
- Denials of quotes in book untrue, Woodward says
- Alex Cora discusses Trump's comments on Puerto Rico
- Two Russians accused by United Kingdom in spy poisoning to give interview
- Elizabeth Smart blasts pending prison release of kidnapper: 'It is incomprehensible'
- HIGHLIGHTS: Seattle Storm Win 2018 WNBA Championship
- Hurricane Florence: Why mandatory evacuations don't always chase away everybody
- Canada's Freeland to hold NAFTA talks in Washington on Tuesday
- George Weah plays for Liberia against Nigeria, aged 51
- Ramos returns to chair after Serena dramas as stats back him up
- Cynthia Nixon faces off against Andrew Cuomo in NY primary election