He won't be with the team for the start of training camp, either.
However, don't count out Kawhi's current team, the Raptors, out of the picture yet, as they're already doing everything they can in order to retain the two-time Defensive Player of the Year. Veteran players are slowly starting to filter in. This is supposed to be an uneventful time of year.
So, after the Butler news came out on Wednesday...
The Bulls acquired Asik when they traded Nikola Mirotic to the New Orleans Pelicans in February.
The team recently signed Luol Deng to a one-year contract for the veteran minimum. Coupled with him having played heavy minutes for the past several years - mostly under Thibodeau - and approaching 30, there's an argument to be made against giving Butler a five-year max in the neighborhood of $200 million.
Butler led the Wolves to their first playoff appearance in 14 seasons.
Thibodeau was also hoping to sign Towns to a contract extension but the big man has refused thus far. He will now be faced with one of the most hard decisions of his front office career as he begins the next phase of the Brooklyn rebuild.
This development contradicts general manager Tom Thibodeau's stance that the Wolves intend to keep Butler despite his happiness.
Rival executives lobbing calls to Minnesota's front office on the possibility of trading for four-time All-Star forward Jimmy Butler are getting their inquiries rebuffed, league sources told ESPN.
There were numerous reports of rifts between Butler and younger players on the Timberwolves such as Andrew Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns. A max contract has been on the table for Towns to accept for months, only for him to delay signing the deal. Per the report, National Basketball Association officials believe that Taylor simply doesn't want a "prolonged saga with Butler", and that he would prefer to move him sooner rather than later.
- Fury, Wilder to fight December 1: promoter
- José Mourinho: Manchester United’s improved defence not just due to defenders
- Robots 'will create more jobs than they displace'
- What does the future hold for the Air Force?
- Indian Catholic bishop arrested ‘for raping nun repeatedly over two years’
- Texan running 3D-printed gun company ordered to leave Taiwan
- Militants kill Iranian troops at parade
- 4 dead, including suspect, in Maryland shooting, law enforcement says
- DeChambeau the man to beat at season-ending Tour Championship
- Disappointed Imran describes Indian leadership as 'small men occupying big offices'