Health officials confirmed the presence of adenovirus 7 at the Wanaque Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, located in Haskell, New Jersey, where 6 kids have died in the viral outbreak.
The "medically fragile" unnamed child died overnight at Wanaque Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, just two days after the facility announced the death of an eighth child.
The new diagnoses bring the total number of cases to 25.
Health Commissioner Dr. Shereef Elnahal said in a statement Monday the teams will assess infection prevention practices and deploy beginning in November.
Adenovirus usually poses little risk for healthy people.
The US health department said the most recent individual to be diagnosed in the outbreak would have fallen ill on or before 22 October.
"This is an active investigation of an outbreak of adenovirus so it is possible that lab tests will confirm additional cases", the state's health department said in a statement.
The health department says the adenovirus outbreak has been particularly severe because it is affecting children with severely compromised immune systems.
"This latest death was an individual who had a confirmed case of adenovirus and had become ill before October 22", explains health officials.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control was assisting state health officials with testing and "expertise", according to the New Jersey Department.
The agency said the most recent individual became sick on or before October 22, which remains the last day when a patient showed new symptoms.
"As part of an ongoing effort to ensure all infection control measures are followed, we are taking extra steps to monitor residents and staff for any signs of infectious illness", Elnahal explained. The infections can affect the tissue linings of the respiratory tract, eyes, intestines, urinary tract and nervous system, causing illnesses ranging from a cold to bronchitis to pneumonia to pink eye. The CDC is also investigating the outbreak.
- Tropical Storm Oscar forms in Atlantic Ocean
- Donald Trump will hold another Florida rally November 3 in Pensacola
- Deaths of Fairfax County sisters in New York City remain mystery
- U.N. Panel Rejects Russian Proposal on Nuclear Treaty
- Whitey Bulger found dead in West Virginia federal prison, NBC News reports
- Colourful Logo Invites by Apple for the Much-Awaited Event
- Teaser Talk: Love Birds Struck In Kedarnath Floods
- Japanese Princess Ayako marries commoner at shrine ceremony
- Mobile Is Happy to Take a Haircut on the OnePlus 6T
- Hillary Clinton jokes about black Democrats: ‘I know they all look alike’