The restaurant owner had been settled in Les Gens for "a number of years", and had many family and friends in the United Kingdom too, said the sources.
He said the cyclist "couldn't be confused" with a game animal, as he "had a coloured helmet and a coloured mountain bike".
A 22-year-old local man, part of a group of 18, was held responsible for shooting Mr Sutton, who was wearing high-visibility biking gear.
It was also reported by The Mirror that the victim ran a restaurant in the small ski resort of Les Gets, close to Morzine and has lived in the region for many years now.
"The shooter went into deep shock when he realised what he had done".
"He was riding a mountain bike on a popular and well used track, but it was hard to get to and would not have been busy as darkness approached".
Britain's Foreign Office says it's "in contact with the local authorities" and providing assistance to the victim's family.
In October 2017, a 69-year-old woman was said to have died after being hit by a hunter's bullet as she sat in her garden in Taussac.
An inquiry has been launched into the incident of "aggravated manslaughter", French prosecutors said.
- Meghan Markle And Prince Harry Expecting First Child
- Sandy Leon starting in Game 1 for Red Sox
- Trains cancelled in Lancashire due to 'severe weather' brought by Storm Callum
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are expecting their first child
- Junket tourism
- Eden Hazard Dwells On 'Regretful' Role In Jose Mourinho's Chelsea-Exit
- 5 members of Royal family missing in Saudi Arabia: Royal prince
- Djokovic closes in on No. 1 ranking
- Here's how to stop the malicious message from bricking your PS4
- Olean Mayor Recognizes October as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month