Don't let people tell you your vote doesn't count.
As the most nominated artist of the night, the Bronx rapper delivered an electrifying performance of her No. 1 smash "I Like It" with help from J Balvin and Bad Bunny.
Taylor Swift kicked off her week with a rare political post on social media, and at the American Music Awards she continued the conversation by encouraging fans to vote in the upcoming midterm elections.
She also picked up three other awards, for best female pop artist, best tour, and best pop album for "reputation", the biggest seller of 2017.
Like Cardi B's performance, rising newcomer Ella Mai also won over the crowd when she sang the year's biggest R&B hit, Boo'd Up, starting the performance as she walked down the aisle of the Microsoft Theater.
T-Swift speaks up: The pop star spoke out on Sunday, just two days before the October 9 deadline to register to vote in her home state of Tennessee.
The artist is also in the run seven other awards, including New Artist of the Year and Favorite Female Artist - Pop/Rock.
"Black-ish" star Tracee Ellis Ross will host the AMAs, which air live on ABC at 8 p.m. ET/ 5 p.m. PT.
Billy Eichner, right, got political as he presented the award for favourite adult contemporary artist with Kathryn Hahn.
Apart from Swift, the show was largely politics free.
The songs opening lines address narcissism and lies, the chorus goes "They say I did something bad/ Then why's it feel so good?/ And I'd do it over and over and over again if I could"; pyrotechnics were set off during the lines, "They're burning all the witches, even if you aren't one/ So light me up".
- What to expect in Orlando area from 'monstrous' Hurricane Michael
- Taylor Swift inspired 65000 people to register to vote, says Vote.org
- UFC 229 Results: Tony Ferguson And Anthony Pettis Engaged in Bloody Battle
- Sydney Opera House forced to display horse-racing ads on roof
- 'Batwoman' Begins: First Look at Ruby Rose as the CW Superhero
- Cyril Ramaphosa to reveal Nhlanhla Nene's fate
- Trump Kavanaugh: President apologises for 'unfair' treatment
- International Monetary Fund upgrades outlook on Russian Federation as economy recovers
- Kanye heads to White House for lunch with Trump
- The $3 Million Crowdfunding Effort To Unseat Sen. Collins In 2020