Wednesday, 17 October 2018
Latest news
Main » Missing Saudi journalist's fiancée asks for Trump's help

Missing Saudi journalist's fiancée asks for Trump's help

11 October 2018
Missing Saudi journalist's fiancée asks for Trump's help

Saudi Arabia remained silent as the images, though not offering definitive proof about Khashoggi's fate, played across television networks in Turkey and around the world.

"Jamal is a Saudi citizen who went missing after leaving the Consulate", the ambassador said in a statement. He's got a vision for the country that I think is extraordinary for a young leader.

He said he and his wife, Melania, expect to invite Cengiz to the White House soon. People close to him interviewed regarding his involvement with DAWN pointed out that Khashoggi didn't voice intentions to overturn governments, but rather to expand the rights of people living in the region.

"We have always had a very good relationship", he said. "It's a bad thing", Trump said. "We can't let this happen".

President Donald Trump said the United States is "demanding" answers from Saudi Arabia about Khashoggi and wants to bring his fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, to the White House.

"In both calls they asked for more details and for the Saudi government to be transparent in the investigation process".

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders confirmed Trump's comments about the ongoing talks between the two countries over the issue.

At 5:32 p.m., cameras show Khashoggi's fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, outside the police barricades of the consulate, speaking into her cellphone.

When I asked him why he chose to live in the United States, he said America was the world's most powerful country, where one could feel the political pulse of the planet.

Mr Trump, who took his first overseas trip as United States president to the kingdom and whose son-in-law Jared Kushner has close ties to Prince Mohammed, said he had not yet talked to the Saudis about Khashoggi.

The Foreign Relations panel was weighing possible steps Congress could take toward Saudi Arabia, she told MSNBC.

Turkey's private NTV news channel identified one member of the alleged 15-member team as the head of a Saudi forensic science agency. The passenger manifest, obtained by the pro-government Daily Sabah paper, also lists a senior intelligence officer and two Saudi air force officers.

Khashoggi had first left Saudi Arabia a year ago, saying he feared retribution for his criticism of Saudi policy in the Yemen war and its crackdown on dissent. "But as I said yesterday, the free world deserves answers". According to the New York Times, officials in Istanbul believe he was killed on orders from the royal court of Saudi Arabia.

Corker says he was told that closed-circuit TV from the consulate was live only and did not record.

"To me ... it feels very much some nefarious activity has occurred by them".

Pence did not indicate that either Turkey, which has launched an intensive investigation into Khashoggi's disappearance, or Saudi Arabia has sought US assistance.

The 15-man squad arrived on two private planes at Istanbul's Ataturk airport last Tuesday, returning that same day to Riyadh.

The Sabah newspaper, which is close to Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, revealed the identities of what it called a "mysterious" 15-member "assassination squad" who were allegedly involved in Mr Khashoggi's disappearance.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) declared that there will be "hell to pay" if Saudi Arabia is behind the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, dissident and Washington Post contributor.

The Spectator reported claims that Mr Khashoggi had been offered a role as an adviser if he returned to Saudi Arabia but had declined because of "moral and religious" principles.

A map shows the van's route from the consulate to the nearby official residence of the Saudi consul general, where CCTV footage shows it arriving at 3:07 p.m. The men checked into hotels and left Turkey later that night.