Luka Modric and Kylian Mbappe are in the running to break Lionel Messi's and Cristiano Ronaldo's 10-year dominance of the Ballon d'Or.
Kylian Mbappe is third-favourite after winning the World Cup with France at the age of 19, with 6-1 odds.
Manchester City forward Sergio Aguero is nominated as is another prolific South American striker, Edinson Cavani of Uruguay and Paris Saint-Germain.
Atletico Madrid striker Griezmann and PSG wonderkid Mbappe are seen as the Frenchmen with the best chance of individual glory, but Croatia midfielder Luka Modric is the favourite for the award after winning the Champions League with Real and leading his country to the final of Russian Federation 2018.
The ceremony to announce the victor will take place in Paris on 3 December, when a women's award will be presented for the first time.
Liverpool's Brazilian forward Roberto Firmino and Uruguay's rugged defender Diego Godin of Atletico Madrid also got the nod.
The 33-year-old won the FIFA The Best award earlier in the year, pipping Ronaldo and Salah to the trophy.
Ronaldo played a key role in Real's Champions League triumph last season and scored a World Cup hat-trick for Portugal against Spain.
The Ballon d'Or, which was first won by Englishman Stanley Matthews in 1956, is decided by a ballot of journalists from around the world.
- Juventus set to make offer for Liverpool target Aaron Ramsey
- Microsoft reportedly finalizing deal to acquire RPG gaming maker Obsidian Entertainment
- Pogba should have kept views to himself - Saha
- PSN name changes are officially coming, here's how they'll work
- Tropical Storm Michael forms in the Yucatan
- Women’s Commission sends notice to Nana Patekar, 3 others
- Timberwolves' Jimmy Butler asking price 'too steep' for Heat, interested teams
- BTS Crowned Winner Of Favorite Social Artist At 2018 American Music Awards
- The $3 Million Crowdfunding Effort To Unseat Sen. Collins In 2020
- Fight flu - get your flu shot