Shanghai (China): Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic defeated Croatia's Borna Coric 6-3, 6-4 on Sunday to claim a record fourth Shanghai Masters title, closing in on the world No. 1 spot in the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) rankings now held by Spain's Rafael Nadal.
Djokovic will replace Roger Federer as world number two on Monday after claiming a third successive title and is only 35 points behind Nadal.
The Serb grabbed the opening set with a hold to love, having dropped just four points on his serve overall.
Coric saved three match points to hold serve in the ninth game, but then Djokovic served out to clinch his fourth title of the season.
He is also breathing down Rafael Nadal's in the race for No 1 with just 215 ranking points separating the pair.
During the week in China's commercial capital city, the expected Djokovic/Federer finals did not materialize after the top seeded players had been beaten in earlier rounds.
"I could not ask for a better scenario", Djokovic said.
It is almost two years since Djokovic topped the rankings and he has made it his mission to topple the injured Nadal before the year is out.
The Serb extended his winning run to 18 matches in China, following up his successes at Wimbledon, the Cincinnati Masters and US Open. "I'm very close to Nadal in the rankings and I put myself in a very good position for the last period of the year." said the 31-year-old.
Reflecting on his semi-final match against Boric, Federer admitted that he could have done a better job in serving, adding, the Croatian had "more punch" than him. Djokovic kept his opponent on the move, mixing up his service placement and making forays to the net in order to extend his advantage. "I was playing good, really, I was really happy how I played", he said. I didn't enjoy it as much, to be honest", Coricsaid."But now when I look back on it, it's a very good lesson.
The Frenchwoman's two titles at the end of last season earned her a spot into the year-end Women's Tennis Association (WTA) Finals in Singapore.
- Climate report calls for 'unprecedented' action
- Meet TCL's Palm Palm, a kitten like phone
- Boxer Alvarez signs $365M deal, richest contract in sports history
- Popular YouTube stars sued by Epic Games for selling Fortnite cheats
- American Pilot Dead in Ukrainian Military Plane Crash
- MJ Akbar's resignation accepted by PM Narendra Modi
- Boston Celtics: 3 regular season goals for Aron Baynes in 2018-19
- Death toll in Crimea attack reaches 18
- Messi Would Struggle at Manchester United - Scholes
- Mysterious paralyzing illness reported in 22 states — CDC