Racing NSW has cancelled a live barrier draw for its multi-million dollar race The Everest, citing security risks amid ongoing public outrage at plans to project the results onto the Sydney Opera House.
"... My intention was to deal with the issue, about which I feel very passionately, and not to bully or demean Louise Herron". He said he didn't bully her but acknowledges that "there were people who thought he did".
"You don't have a right to fence it off... if this can't be approved you should be sacked because you don't own the Opera House", Jones told Herron in the fiery interview.
"I'm upset at the way the issue panned out publicly, but I'm equally upset at those who've come out now and been nearly as vitriolic in expressing their views", Ms Berejiklian told ABC.
The radio broadcaster had become a central figure on the row, which escalated this week and saw 235,000 sign an online petition presented to the NSW Government against using the building as 'a promotional billboard'. Racing NSW boss Peter V'Landys says, however, that Jones has "absolutely no financial interest" in the Everest.
The petition's creator, Mike Woodcock, delivered a printed version with 235,000 signatures to the NSW parliament early this morning.
When the Opera House sails were finally illuminated after days of national backlash, the crowds of protesters began booing and sending up helium balloons.
"I used some words in these programs about the Everest, and the Opera House, and Louise, which in hindsight I now most regret hearing, having heard the impact they've clearly had on some people", said Jones.
The top comment on the page states "Sydney should not be hostage to Alan Jones and the gambling establishments".
Almost 3000 people are also expected to attend a protest at that time to disrupt the Everest projection with torches and mobile phone lights.
"This is one of the biggest events of the year... why not put it on the biggest billboard Sydney has?" said Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison.
- Eating disorders, youth and Indigenous mental illness priorities of $125m government mission
- Real identity uncovered of second Russian linked to Skripal poisoning: Bellingcat
- Red Sox Eliminate Yankees, Punch Ticket To ALCS To Face Astros
- Quake Search and Rescue Ends in 4 Days
- 'Batwoman' Begins: First Look at Ruby Rose as the CW Superhero
- Taylor Swift inspired 65000 people to register to vote, says Vote.org
- Ivanka Trump says she won't replace Nikki Haley at the United Nations
- Kanye heads to White House for lunch with Trump
- Hope Hicks Joins New Fox as Chief Communications Officer
- IPhone XS users can now charge their phones in peace