Making his debut as a fulltime PGA Tour member, young Australian Cameron Davis impressed as he tied for 17th with a closing 68 at the Silverado resort in California's Napa Valley.
It was the first PGA Tour victory for the 30-year-old, who was born less than two years after his father won the 1986 PGA Championship. He's probably the biggest person I lean on. I was just trying to get it up around the greens and make pars and wait until I could get some downwind holes.
Snedeker could only manage par on the first playoff hole, the 18th, while Moore and Tway both hit birdies on the first two playoff holes. "Finally got here and it feels unbelievable".
His retreat let the pack back into contention in what turned into a wild finish in conditions that started out extremely windy before abating by the final few holes. The five-time major victor, who had been pleasantly surprised by his first two rounds after a tough 0-2 performance at the Ryder Cup in France last week, finished with three bogeys and three birdies, picking up a stroke at the 16th but unable to take advantage of the more favorable wind at 17 and 18.
Tway birdied the final two holes of regulation, two-putting the par-five 18th to join the playoff.
Snedeker, who started the day with a three-shot lead and led by five with 11 remaining in regulation, fell by the wayside with a par at the first playoff hole.
The nine-time PGA Tour victor bogeyed the first three holes on the back nine, birdied the par-5 16th, bogeyed the par-4 17th and parred the 18th, missing from 9 feet.
"When I got done with my round there were plenty of guys with plenty of holes left". I was kind of right there, but kind of hanging around.
- Modric, Mbappe in running for Ballon d’Or award
- Chelsea's Eden Hazard: Real Madrid move remains my dream
- Adrian Peterson dislocated shoulder Monday
- Women’s Commission sends notice to Nana Patekar, 3 others
- Duke and Duchess of Cambridge attend Mental Health Summit
- Ousted Guardians of the Galaxy director switches camps, tied to new DC Comics film
- Google Hardware Event Tomorrow: 7 Products Expected to Be Unveiled
- Tropical Storm Michael forms in the Yucatan
- The $3 Million Crowdfunding Effort To Unseat Sen. Collins In 2020
- Fight flu - get your flu shot