A doctor who examined the youngster said his injuries had been deliberately inflicted, with Chippewa County Sheriff's Office quickly focusing its investigation on the 10 year-old girl.
The youngster, who has not been named, told a court Monday that she was holding the little boy at a licenced day care center when she accidentally lost her grip on him.
The 10-year-old then "didn't know what to do and didn't want to get into trouble and then she proceeded to stomp on the 6-month-old's head", he said.
The Chippewa County Sheriff's Office said he is being held on four counts of homicide by negligent operation of a vehicle, four counts of homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle, four counts of hit-and-run involving death and one count of hit-and-run involving great bodily harm. Schneider and her daughter lived in the town of Lafayette.
Also Monday, authorities were prepared to release the identities of those killed in the crash late Saturday morning along County Road P near the Hwy.
Treu and his passenger, who also turned himself in, allegedly told police that right before the crash they "had been intentionally inhaling chemical vapors," also known as "huffing". A fourth girl scout, who has not been identified, was hospitalized and is now in stable condition, police said.
Monday morning, a cash bond was set at $250,000 for 21-year-old Colten Treu.
The children were all fourth graders at Halmstad Elementary School and Southview Elementary School in nearby Chippewa Falls, about 90 miles (145 kilometers) east of Minneapolis.
Kowalczyk said it has been a challenging couple of days for his office, between investigating this case as well as the four deaths in a auto crash Saturday in Lake Hallie. The truck was found to be abandoned in the garage at this location and the driver and a passenger had left the house prior to police arriving.
The Chippewa Falls Area Unified School District says it's received a lot of support from the community and even from around the country.
Another girl who was struck is still hospitalized but is now in stable condition. Sokup says he will be charged with four homicide counts.
- Fox News doesn't condone Hannity appearance with Trump
- Lowe's shutting down RONA store on Barrydowne
- Mary Anne Marsh: Midterm elections -- Why Democrats have high hopes for Tuesday
- 'SNL' mocks Navy SEAL who lost eye
- My hair is turning white due to Manchester United’s performances - Jose Mourinho
- Xherdan Shaqiri to miss Liverpool trip to Belgrade
- Why Ash Barty's title triumph is bad news for Serena Williams
- United States midterm polls start to open: Who will control Congress?
- The Kepler Mission has Come to an End, NASA Announced
- Oprah Winfrey Responds to 'Racist Robocalls' in Georgia