Grande's rep then insisted the reports linking the LP to the singer were "incorrect", confirming the album was "not an Ariana release".
An artist going by the name of Zandhr put a collection of songs called Nobody Does It Better on several streaming services.
There is no response to the rumours from the star.
So half an hour before the latest episode of SNL started, Grande put her new single out into the world, and it nearly immediately became a meme to rival "me voting in 2016 vs.me voting today".
Billboard made this known in a statement and noted that the Pop star was picked as the recipient for the award following her 'incredibly successful year and on the heels of her Billboard 200 chart-topping fourth album Sweetener'.
Fortunately, Ariana's friends Victoria Monet and Tayla Parx - both of whom are co-writers of the track - were serving as her backing singers, and quickly managed to make her laugh, helping her complete the performance.
The song got particularly emotional for Grande during a verse about her parents.
In Your Hands is thought to be the collaboration between Ariana Grande and Diplo which was teased in 2016.
After fans picked up on the lyrics in "thank u, next" directly referencing her former boyfriends including Mac Miller and Pete Davidson, Ariana revealed that she'd actually sent it to her exes days before she released it. It's one thing to sing the words, "I'm so fucking grateful for my ex", and it's another to really look like you mean them.
As yet, no-one can seem to find significance in the pseudonym Zandhr.
Listen to Newsbeat live at 12:45 and 17:45 every weekday on BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra - if you miss us you can listen back here.
- BLACKBURN TAKES TENNESSEE: GOP Candidate Defeats Democrat Phil Bredesen
- Samsung hints foldable display, new Galaxy UX, Android 9 Pie Beta Program
- England give injury updates and it's not good news for Curry
- All eyes on Nov 5 UK Cabinet meeting for Brexit breakthrough
- Armed Militia Groups Head To The Border, Sparking Military Concerns
- From bad to worse: Trump's media relationship frays more
- Five Arrested Over Grenfell Tower Effigy Fire VIDEO
- Apple's Confusing Mac Lineup: MacBook Air vs. MacBook
- The Trial of Mexican Drug Lord "El Chapo" Starts Monday in Brooklyn
- Fans boo Blizzard at Blizzcon over Diablo mobile game