Members of the US Border Patrol called the fencing "necessary preparations" as upwards of 4,000-8,000 migrants march north through Mexico".
The supposed request was made at the time when a migrant caravan of mostly Central American asylum-seekers are heading to the USA in the hope to cross into the country.
In April, Trump also directed the National Guard to support the Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Protection as they worked to secure the southwest border. They do that with us, they're going to be arrested, there are going to be problems. Captain Bill Speaks, another Pentagon spokesman added, "we have not received a request from DHS to build facilities to house migrant families".
Active duty USA troops are barred from domestic law enforcement unless there is an emergency, but President Donald Trump has repeatedly raised the prospect of having troops enforce the border as he campaigns hard on the dangers of immigration in the final days before the midterm elections. "They're going to wait and if they don't get asylum, they get out", Trump told Fox News.
Customs and Border Protection declined to comment.
Although the deployment of troops still continues, sources of the US Northern Command (NORTHCOM) confirmed to Efe news that the soldiers have already begun to execute their mission.
Manning said only military police would carry weapons and stressed that there were no plans for US troops to come in contact with protesters or migrants.
"There [have] been a number of three- and four-stars who have publicly said and have used the words "wasteful and inappropriate" and so forth, and they have the luxury of doing that; they are no longer in uniform", Gen. Joseph Dunford told an audience at Duke University during a speaking engagement Monday.
The Hill reported on Monday that President Trump could order as many as 15,000 troops to the U.S. -Mexico border, which a study from The Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments estimates could costs as much as $110 million. But, the official noted, that was not expected to be part of Faithful Patriot and the timing of any such future mission was unclear. While beginning in Honduras, it reached a peak of 7,000 people as many from other Central American nations joined in the 1,553-mile (2,500-kilometer) journey to reach the U.S.by foot.
However, Trump's effort has been embraced by Republicans running in the elections, in which illegal immigration is a top issue.
- Amazon To Split Second Headquarters Between Two US Cities, Says Report
- Salvador Perez and Alex Gordon win Gold Glove awards
- All eyes on Nov 5 UK Cabinet meeting for Brexit breakthrough
- Five Arrested Over Grenfell Tower Effigy Fire VIDEO
- From bad to worse: Trump's media relationship frays more
- Chargers release Sturgis, promote Badgley — Kicker carousel
- Fans boo Blizzard at Blizzcon over Diablo mobile game
- Messi will travel to Milan for Barcelona’s Champions League clash with Inter
- Ron DeSantis Defeats Andrew Gillum to Become Florida’s Governor
- BLACKBURN TAKES TENNESSEE: GOP Candidate Defeats Democrat Phil Bredesen