"I did everything I could to keep in good condition to come to the end of the season, and really wanted to play in Paris and London".
"But unfortunately, I had an abdominal problem in Paris last week and, in addition, I have a [problem] with my right ankle joint that [required] an operation [today]".
Rafael Nadal has pulled out of next week's season-ending Nitto ATP Finals in London because he is still struggling with an abdominal injury.
Goran played well during the entire week, winning the pivotal points and scoring straight sets win in the final against Medvedev to win the title after four straight wins against the players from the Top 8, a pretty tough draw for someone ranked 11th at that moment!
Novak Djokovic returned to No. 1 on Monday after a two-year absence and is assured of becoming the first man in the history of the ATP rankings to finish a season at the top spot after being outside the top 20 during that season. "It was a hard year, very good at the tennis level when I was able to play and at the same time very bad in terms of injuries".
The player had earlierannounced that he would not be able to take part in London due to abdominal pains which forced him to miss last week's Paris Masters.
The issue was serious enough to also rule Nadal out of the Masters 1000 events in Indian Wells and Miami, but he went on to enjoy familiar success on clay, including yet another French Open title.
Nadal has not featured on the ATP World Tour since retiring in the semi-finals of the US Open in September, also suffering this year with hip and knee problems.
"Hello everyone: I am writing these words to you as the end of the season", Nadal wrote in Spanish on Twitter.
- Pete Davidson Made Last Minute Call to Mention Ariana Grande on 'SNL'
- The Trial of Mexican Drug Lord "El Chapo" Starts Monday in Brooklyn
- Five Arrested Over Grenfell Tower Effigy Fire VIDEO
- From bad to worse: Trump's media relationship frays more
- Ron DeSantis Defeats Andrew Gillum to Become Florida’s Governor
- All eyes on Nov 5 UK Cabinet meeting for Brexit breakthrough
- All 78 child hostages released in Cameroon, two teachers held
- FAA issues 737 MAX emergency AD
- Apple's Confusing Mac Lineup: MacBook Air vs. MacBook
- Florida Restores Voting Rights for Most Felons