The Panthers (6-4, 5-1) can clinch the ACC Coastal with a win in one of their final two games. Since the SEC champion, in this case No. 1 Alabama, is in a semifinal, the Sugar Bowl would get the next-highest ranked SEC team, No. 5 Georgia.
The committee continues to be impressed with UCF's offensive prowess.
The Fighting Irish and the Orange, meanwhile, are set to kick off at 2:30 p.m. E.T. on NBC on Saturday.
This may have been the easiest week the selection committee has had in the College Football Playoff era.
The committee's top 10 remained the same - Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan and Georgia were the top five. The Bulldogs would play No. 6 Oklahoma, the projected Big 12 champion in these rankings. Those rankings will determine the four semifinalists along with the teams participating in the remainder of the New Year's Six bowl games.
If the Knights remain undefeated, they are on track to clinch the Access Bowl bid again, but they could face competition from Cincinnati and No. 25 Boise State.
MI remained at No. 4 in the College Football Playoff Rankings after defeating Rutgers 42-7. While the group - which has given up 40-plus points three times this season - was discussed by the committee, it was far from the only data point when it considered Oklahoma according to College Football Playoff Committee member Rob Mullens.
- Kim Porter, Mother of 3 of Diddy's Kids, Dead at 47
- Turkey says Saudi explanation of Khashoggi murder 'insufficient'
- Facebook says it's getting better at removing hate speech
- New Zealand beat Australia to host
- South Korea says too early to restart industrial zone with North
- Mueller team has ‘gone absolutely nuts,’ Trump says about Russian Federation inquiry
- North Korea missile bases REVEALED in shock satellite images
- Packers RB Aaron Jones nominated for weekly National Football League award
- Snell, deGrom capture Cy Young awards
- John Lewis Christmas Advert 2018 Starring Elton John