The PT still has a solid base of about 30% of the electorate - but will need more than that to mount a forceful opposition to Bolsonaro. In the longest arc of history, the rise and fall of Brazil's leftist politics may have brought succour to the most vulnerable demographic but it left the middle class feeling neglected. The Sao Paulo stock market closed up 3.69% on the news.
But to many, Bolsonaro's most concerning trait is a lack of concern about Brazil's nascent political checks and balances, implemented in the late 1980's as the country tried to shake off two decades of military rule.
"His reckless plans to industrialize the Amazon in concert with Brazilian and worldwide agribusiness and mining sectors will bring untold destruction to the planet's largest rainforest and the communities who call it home, and spell disaster for the global climate", stated Amazon Watch program director Christian Poirer shortly after Bolsonaro's victory. In a now infamous 1999 television interview Bolsonaro also said: "You'll never change anything in this country through voting". Bolsonaro, who has been compared to Philippines' strongman Rodrigo Duterte, defeated his Workers' Party rival Fernando Haddad by double digits.
He also floated Moro as a possibility for one of two Supreme Court positions set to be vacated during his term. The five-member slate includes a transgender woman and offers a progressive agenda. Both collectives belong to the progressive Socialism and Liberty party and are in favor of LGBTQ equality.
It was particularly humiliating for the PT - which was born out of the struggle against Brazil's brutal military dictatorship (1964-1985) - that the man who put the nail in its coffin was a former army captain who not only served that dictatorship, but continues to openly praise its use of torture and repression against leftists. Opponents of the materials claimed they would promote homosexuality and promiscuity in the classroom, and Bolsonaro described the materials as a "gay kit".
"We want to continue to be able to work with them, and we'll see what happens from there", she said.
Retired General Augusto Heleno, slated to become defense minister, told reporters that Bolsonaro has a positive view of a planned $4.75 billion joint venture between Boeing Co and Brazilian planemaker Embraer SA.
"There are a lot of parallels and I think a lot of opportunities for a much improved US-Brazil relationship", Roberts said.
- Netanyahu Tells Trump To Back Saudi Prince After Brutal Khashoggi Murder
- Spotify Gives Away Free Google Home Mini Speakers to Family Plan Subscribers
- Kemp, Abrams Near Even in Race For Georgia Governor
- Saudi sisters found in river spoke of harming themselves
- 'Diablo Immortal' is actually fun, you entitled babies
- The scientists said that they had managed to make a telescope "Kepler"
- United States and China optimistic on trade, plan talks at G20 summit
- Search goes on in wake of Indonesia's fatal plane crash, survivors unlikely
- Xi meets Pakistani prime minister
- Triple H Suffers Injury During WWE Crown Jewel Main Event