It was a relief for McEvoy, who was blocked when Aidan O'Brien-trained Cliffsofmoher pulled up lame early in the race.
"Our sympathies are extended to Coolmore and the Williams family, the owners of The Cliffsofmoher, jockey Ryan Moore, trainer Aidan O'Brien and his staff who cared for the horse and are greatly saddened by their loss".
Regal Monarch, trained by Chris Waller, was euthanised after falling in race four previous year, while British stayer Red Cadeaux was put down two weeks after falling and breaking a leg in the 2015 Melbourne Cup. He was treated by vets for three weeks after the race, but was eventually euthanised.
Last year Regal Monarch, which fell in race four on Melbourne Cup day, was euthanased after being injured during the race.
THE Melbourne Cup has been marred by an apparent serious injury to star United Kingdom galloper The CliffsofMoher.
Racing Victoria, the governing body in Australia's southern state, said The Cliffsofmoher "was unable to be saved due to the nature of the injury sustained".
Trained by Charlie Appleby and ridden by Kerrin McEvoy, Cross Counter crossed the line clear of Marmelo in second place and A Prince of Arran in third. Cross Counter was third-last on the first turn.
Unnoticed amid the tragedy of The Cliffsofmoher's death after the Melbourne Cup was how Ryan Moore handled the situation. "What a field to do it in".
JOCKEY Hugh Bowman has been hit with a whopping 35-meeting suspension for three charges relating to his Melbourne Cup ride.
"They [Godolphin] have been striving to win this race for a long time", McEvoy said.
During the trophy presentation, rain which had affected the lead-up to the race again started to fall at Flemington.
Appleby said the Melbourne Cup had been on his "bucket list for a long time".
"I did promise (the kids) a swimming pool", McEvoy said.
It was the 158th running of the 3,200-meter race and had a purse of 7.3 million Australian dollars ($5.3m).
O'Brien's son Joseph, who trained Melbourne Cup victor Rekindling previous year, said The Cliffofmoher's death was "very sad".
There was further drama from the post-race veterinary examination of horses for the two favourites, Magic Circle and Yucatan.
- United States midterm polls start to open: Who will control Congress?
- Fox News doesn't condone Hannity appearance with Trump
- Doctor friends attempt to save Australian man after shark attack in Whitsundays
- Klopp: Milner 'Is Like Wine, A Very Good Red One.'
- Two dead, multiple wounded in US yoga studio shooting
- Tyson Chandler bought out by Phoenix Suns, eyes Los Angeles Lakers
- Apple cancels production boost for iPhone XR: Nikkei
- 10-year-old girl charged with killing baby at day care
- Facebook blocks 115 accounts for 'coordinated inauthentic behavior'
- Messi will travel to Milan for Barcelona’s Champions League clash with Inter