"We were brilliant at times today", said the former Liverpool forward.
"When you have a bad period, it takes long to recover".
Sterling scored 18 goals and laid on 15 assists in the Premier League last season and is on course for a greater return this time around with six goals and five assists after 11 games.
You can easily imagine they might have been Mark Hughes' parting words to his Saints side as they left the changing room to take on the might of Manchester City.
It may be harsh to single out one Southampton defender given they were all dire, but Hoedt arguably endured the most hard outing, haplessly giving City the lead.
Leroy Sane has said that he and his Manchester City teammates are really enjoying playing together after they beat a sorry Southampton 6-1 at the Etihad. It's scary to think that Sterling may just be scratching the surface of his ability.
"It makes us so hungry to win the game and to score a lot of goals".
Relentless City doubled their lead six minutes later as Sterling drove into the Southampton box.
It probably says more about Southampton's defending than it does about City's attack, though, to be fair.
Pep Guardiola hailed an "incredible" performance from Raheem Sterling and believes the Manchester City forward is unrecognisable from the player who used to be "scared" in front of goal. "Maybe one day they don't score, and then the team doesn't score at all".
However there was never a hint that Southampton might be able to launch anything resembling a fightback and City ended the half as they had begun it - by scoring.
Sane was one of five different goalscorers for City on Sunday, and he has now scored three times in just four starts.
The nervy first-half version at Bournemouth or the more assured team that completed a 2-1 win after the break?
Sterling bagged his second of the game on 67 minutes to cap a fine individual display from the England attacker.
- False Kavanaugh Accuser Referred to FBI and DOJ for Investigation
- Baltimore Amazon warehouse wall collapse: 2 dead, fire chief says
- Iranians mark embassy takeover on eve of United States sanctions
- US Sanctions on Iran Oil Sales Snap Back as Trump Fulfills Vow
- LeSean McCoy's star fades in Buffalo Bills' latest loss to Patriots
- Mooted Brexit deal is an 'absolute stinker', warns Boris Johnson
- President tells UN Secretary General:New Govt will continue to uphold democracy
- Kasper Schmeichel fears memory of helicopter crash will stay with him forever
- Emery out to 'write new history' against Arsenal's major rivals
- Ahead of Diwali, Delhi's Air Quality continues to alarm citizens