As of this week, DeepMind Health will operate under Google Health, while other DeepMind sectors will remain independent from Google.
The above can also be seen as a greater priority being accorded to Google Health that has only recently come into being and can be seen as an amalgamation of all the health-related projects now underway within Alphabet.
DeepMind, a British artificial intelligence firm, was acquired by Google in 2014.
Today, the firm announced that the health division, along with the team behind "Streams", their mobile app that supports healthcare officials with faster identification and diagnosis of patients" conditions, is moving to Google's newly-formed health arm dubbed "Google Health'. And the results have been extremely encouraging too, to say the least.
"One of the reasons we joined forces with Google was to give us the platform to more rapidly bring our technologies to the wider world", said DeepMind co-founder and chief executive Demis Hassabis in a statement.
DeepMind has also been criticised by health watchdogs in the past. Staff will remain in London under the leadership of former NHS surgeon and researcher Dominic King. But privacy experts point out that DeepMind promised that "Royal Free data 'will never be linked or associated with Google accounts, products, or services, '" and are claiming the company just broke that promise.
"Patient data remains under our partners" strict control, and all decisions about its use will continue to lie with them. The whole Streams app is now a Google product.
The move has already raised a backlash with critics, with Julia Powles, a research fellow at New York University's Information Law Institute who has criticised DeepMind Health in the past, saying the move to Google was "totally unacceptable". The main issue was that the app had been gathering data on 1.6 million patients without informing them or seeking prior consent.
- Behind Enemy Lines with Slap Sign (Notre Dame)
- 'Sad' EU chief Tusk calls 'farewell' summit to sign-off Brexit deal
- Deepika Padukone And Ranveer Singh Release Marriage Pictures
- Snell, deGrom capture Cy Young awards
- Chris Stapleton wins big at 2018 CMA Awards
- John Lewis Christmas Advert 2018 Starring Elton John
- Agra woman bleeds to death after gruesome monkey attack
- Kim Porter, Mother of 3 of Diddy's Kids, Dead at 47
- Superb Stokes sparks England fightback before lunch
- Facebook says it's getting better at removing hate speech