China just showed the world that it's upping its space exploration game with the introduction of the Tiangong Space Station.
At Airshow China, the China National Space Administration unveiled a replica of Tiangong's core module, which measures 55 feet long.
China's "Heavenly Palace" Space Station, which boasts a 17-meter-wide core module, besides the other compartments of the station, wants to replace the International Space Station when it is gone.
The new space station will allow astronauts to conduct cutting-edge scientific research in the fields of biology and microgravity, according to the Associated Press. "The most likely scenario for the future is that China will emerge as one of the major space powers", said Ostrove.
One of the three computers on the Russian side of the International Space Station has crashed, but orbital operations are unaffected because the two other systems are in working order, Russia's space agency reported today. Construction is expected to be completed around 2022.
"I'm sure over time China will be successful in developing partnerships".
"The space agency, china and the United Nations could quite imagine".
"A lot of countries and a growing number of private companies, and universities have space programs, but no money to build their own space station". Earlier this year, the country announced that the lab would be open to "all countries" to conduct science experiments and the European Space Agency has already sent astronauts to China for training so that they can use the space station once it is up and running.
Beijing is pouring billions into its military-run space program, with plans to send humans to the Moon in the near future.
But it has encountered some glitches.
Chinese authorities denied that the lab - which was placed in orbit in September 2011 as a testing ground for the permanent station - was out of control.
The space station is now home to two Russians, three Americans and one Japanese.
The second iteration, Tiangong-2, is still a work in progress.
- Google overhauls sexual misconduct policy after employee walkouts
- Champions League: Red Star Belgrade upsets Liverpool
- Chinese state media unveils AI news anchors
- Active shooter enters North Carolina high school, police respond
- Steelers Expect LeVeon Bell To Report By Tuesday
- FAA Issues Emergency Order For Boeing 737 MAX 8s & 9s
- One dead, two injured, in Melbourne stabbing incident
- Google details just how good dark mode is for your battery
- The women who made history in the mid-terms
- Australian police treating deadly knife attack as terrorism